New Syncro or New Box ???

Niallyboy

Petrolheads
The 4th gear syncro mesh is starting to go , basically when i gear down from
5th to 4th , it grinds .

So do i change the syncro mesh , cheap to buy but expensive and hard to fit .

or do i pick up a second hand box for a TypeR and simply swap , cost more to buy but an easy fix ????

What do ye reckon lads ???

Niall.

Drop the box up to ali burrows and he will fix it for a good price and then at least you know what you have second had may give same problem or worse down the road then cost more in the long run

If thats the only problem Id get it repaired - a second hand box can cost 500-600 sterling! I know that 4th gear is not too expensive/hard to fix either!

Rgds

Paddy

Niallyboy couldn't be farther from Ali! (Cork)
I'd get in touch with Mark Murphy Motors, ask if he rebuilds Or who he recommends!
In the mean time, when changing down, try clutch it, pull out of 5th into neutral, declutch, then clutch it and try blip the throttle with the side of your foot to match revs and shift into 4th! and declutch!
Sound complicated, but it is real easy!
Or even just match the revs with the side of your right foot while changing down!
Let us know how you get on!
Dan

Thanks lads ........

I've sent a few Pm's out to some of our traders so well see who has the best quote.................(no pressure lads :icon_biggrin:)
that said, Mark Murphy Motors had a good price and he's only 20 mins from me .

Fair play Dan ........... :thumbsup:
I've been double clutching , blipping throttles , heal to toe , left foot / right foot , I even managed to get it all
wrong ..................Just think of River Dance in the seated position and throw in a heated argument with
the gear stick :multijump:

Anyhow long story short ..........................5th gear , clutch in , brake a little , into 3rd .........................HAPPINESS :049:
....................( i know, technically it's coasting but :tongue:)

Niall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=24096.msg286654#msg286654 date=1275644799]
The 4th gear syncro mesh is starting to go , basically when i gear down from
5th to 4th , it grinds .

So do i change the syncro mesh , cheap to buy but expensive and hard to fit .

or do i pick up a second hand box for a TypeR and simply swap , cost more to buy but an easy fix ????

What do ye reckon lads ???

isn't there a gearbox place out in little island by the nct centre?

Niall.
[/quote]

Back