Adding a Aquamist HFS6 Injection Kit

paddyman

Sunday Drivers
Hey lads,

Just theory hammering here for the moment. I have a 2002 B4 RSK with stock turbo's.

I have a decat/straight through/new backbox + remap coming soon (Just planning all mods before i do the remap for E5 + 1/2 Bottle Lucas, will have other supporting mods too).

From what i read with the increases in boost ETC from mapping these mods alone will bring me to around the 300 mark.

The system i'm looking at is the Aquamist HFS6 Kit. There are a number of benefits of the system besides performance gains but just focusing on performance for the moment would i see much from adding this on top of the above??.

My worry in this regard is the turbo's/engine will be at their max from the other mods and i wont get the potential gains... Do you think 300 is max or could i push to about 320 with the HFS6 kit???

You'll find the limits of your turbos long before this aquamist kit will serve any use.

Can you use aquamist to decrease the charge temps, hence increase the efficiency of the turbos??
So Maybe worth a shot,
From what I have read, NF octane booster is the tried and test booster to use instead of Lucas!
Noone else on her has Aquamist on a B4, so worth doing for that alone in my opinion!
Dan

be interesting to see how aquamisting effects the legacy never thought of going that way when u had the b4. it might be a good idea to upgrade your standard b4 injectors to sti injectors if you are aiming for the 320bhp mark

Thanks for helping with this lads, hopefully there will be a yes outcome lol.

@DAN.

The below is lifted from a manufacturer selling these kits and this is what it says in regards your question about decreasing charge temps. Other info also.

"To suppress Detonation, a fine mist of a mixture of water and methanol is injected into the intake charge. Water, with its high latent heat content, and methanol, with its high octane rating, are extremely effective at controlling the onset of detonation. From this you can gain power from increasing timing, or leaning the engine out, or simply add a large margin of safety to your engine.

By adding an extremely fine mist of water you can effectively add an additional intercooler to your vehicle. This lowers charge temperatures, reduces any tendency for detonation, and thus greatly improves horsepower and torque. Most clients will see gains in excess of 20WHP once tuned for! All while increasing safety and longevity of the engine."

So yes is what im reading Dan.

Also this post here if i may Quote it is of the opinion that turbo's near max should still benefit.

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=20396.msg248885#msg248885

[quote author=KENC link=topic=20396.msg248885#msg248885 date=1263236651]
From my bit of research, coud be wrong, but i think if you had 300 before, after meth you could gain 20 to 30bhp and same in torque, due to timing and extra boost etc etc.. it really is highly rated... and from what i have read, even if your turbo is on its max, using meth can get you bit more power, bit of a tuning cheat.. all from advancing timing and runnig leaner mixture
[/quote]

If upgraded injectors are needed that's fine :thumbsup:. Just want to hammer the soundness of the plan first :smile:

ur standard injectors ar yellow 440's :dontknow:as far i i no im up to correction on this
i tink if u want tat sort of power u would be beter of wit doin a rebiuld first
as wit them been a fair soft bloke u could spend alot and damage the engine

This is based on our experience installing these kits on EVOs, Imprezas and some Skyline GTRs

Water injection kits depend on various factors in order for it to be effective in a car:

1) Whether the engine is knock limited
2) How high your charge temperatures post intercooler is going to be
3) What you will be injecting with the kit - ie. Methanol / Water mix or Straight water mix
4) Octane rating of your fuel

1) Whether engine is knock limited

An engine is knock limited if horsepower is still rising as you increase ignition timing and the engine starts to knock. It is not knock limited if horsepower peaks and starts to fall while you're still increasing the ignition timing. Most EVOs and Imprezas fall into this category with our great 95 octane fuel. An example of an engine which is not knock limited is a low comp engine using race fuel - ie, ignition timing can be increased to a point where horsepower can be seen to drop on the dyno - ie, it doesn't knock even though horsepower has started to drop off.

Water injection can help with knock limited engines as it decreases the charge temps and reduces the air / fuel mix's tendency to detonate. Ie, higher ignition timing can be run for more horsepower. In an engine that is not knock limited, pure water injection would not have a whole lot of effect on the power of a car.

On saying that, if we were to use methanol / water mix, the result is slightly different. Methanol is an octane adder by itself. It also has a higher specific heat of vaporisation than water. With methanol mix, it can be possible to reduce the charge temps to below ambient temp. Water / methanol decreases both charge temp and further decreases the air / fuel mix from detonating. The threshold for an engine to knock can be increased greatly by using this mix.

Most water injection kits can be used to inject methanol too.

2) How high your charge temperatures post intercooler is going to be

Water injection can reduce the charge temps in the intake manifold to close enough to ambient temps. On most cars on our dyno and on the road, charge temps read around 25-30 deg C in winter time and between 35-40 deg in the Summer. This requires that the cooling on the dyno is similar to what is on the road. For eg, I have seen charge temps drop between 5-10 degrees by the addition of water injection alone and more if water/methanol mix is used.

Colder charge = engine less prone to detonation = more power

If anyone has any questions about water/methanol injection, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

Great stuff Nick! :thumbsup:
I think this water/meth stuff is a cool way to go,
Although, it would be nice to have switchable maps so you can run with out meth if needs be!
Especially if still using a standard top mount, I may try it as soon as I get my car on the road agian!
I ran 327bhp and 331lb/ft on standard 440cc injectors when origionally mapped at litchfield/powerstation
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24092.msg290484#msg290484 date=1277135086]
I ran 327bhp and 331lb/ft on standard 440cc injectors when origionally mapped at litchfield/powerstation
Dan
[/quote]

Are you sure about this? Why wouldn't it have 550cc injectors like the sti impreza?

As far as I recall, she had 440cc yellow side feed injectors origionally!!
The forester sti had the EJ255 engine origionally, not the EJ257 sti engine
I have them swapping out for 740cc now,
330bhp is probably as far as 440cc's go!
Dan

Back