sti engine problems

munchmcg

hows things guys, i recently bought a sti version 6 and when i went to service it the oil had a lot of steel in it and the filter, any explanations for this and what would of caused this? if anybody could help would be much appreciated????

Welcome along,

Has this car had an engine rebuild due to big end bearing gone? If so they didnt change the oil pump and now its after pumping the filings from the first problem around the engine again and probably after doing the same damage as was done before.

If it has not had a rebuild, then chances are its on its way out and due a rebuild.
Sorry to bear the bad news

It wouldnt be really the not changing oil pump that would cause this, more so not changing the oil modine after a big end failure. Or could be on the way out aswell.
[quote author=Pete link=topic=24058.msg286176#msg286176 date=1275508890]
Welcome along,

Has this car had an engine rebuild due to big end bearing gone? If so they didnt change the oil pump and now its after pumping the filings from the first problem around the engine again and probably after doing the same damage as was done before.

If it has not had a rebuild, then chances are its on its way out and due a rebuild.
Sorry to bear the bad news
[/quote]

thanks for the info guys, he lad i got it off said the previous owner had it rebuilt and the head gasket has bein changed on it so id say it was rebuilt before, i dono what to do from here though, i can get a second han engine or else rebuild it if i must but what sorta money would i be looking at on parts to do it right, i have a mechanic that will do all the work on it and give me a warranty afterwards with it hes sh*t hot on cars, but jus dont know what im gona need to buy ect ect, he also said that if he opens it up and sees something he doesn like i will have to change it to as his name will be on it and doesn want it to go again????

is the car going alright, no knocking or anything, if so,

clean out the modine or get a new one and hope for the best,

no point in fixing it if it ant broken

yeah there is a slight ticking coming from it at the moment, also what is the modine its my first scooby so not sure, and yes the car is going fine i think it may have lost a bit of power though im not sure, the boost gauge stoped working the other day and i drove it for a day like that until i realised a pipe in a 3 pipe connection from my fuel pressure regulator to my inlet manifold it think was dissconected the pipe had cracked and came off

its the unit that the oil filter screws onto!!!
flush the oil out and refill.....no need for a rebuild till it goes bang IMO...

i already have put a new filter and oil in it thats how i seen how much steel was in it, i think the car is loosing power though, i have bein onto a guy who has three engines there and will give me a warranty on them, are second hand engines a good option over a rebuild and would there be much difference in price between both????

Howdy!
The single cheapest and best thing to do is get a good mechanic to remove the sump and clean it out,
New modine,
Genuine subaru oil filter and a magnetic sump plug!
I don't know how easy removing the oil pump is, but maybe an option to clean her out also!
Put her all back together and change the oil again soon after and see if you have any new fillings!
There was loads of metal fillings on my magnetic sump plug after my turbo sh*t it's self!
Dan

I think get the sump off and cleaned out, try to get engine flushed out aswell and defo a new oil modine, and then you will have a starting point, if your confident that your sump is clean, and have a new modine, well then if you get more fillings, then it like bearings, but metal should have a copper colour off it.
As Duffman said, i wouldnt do a rebuild untill i had to... and in that event be vewry carefull who you get to rebuild, Subaru engines are a bit more tricky than others, so someone with Subaru experience is essential

Back