Induction kit

kbox

Octane Boostaholics
Well lads I'm looking to get somemore info from someone if you dont mind. An induction kit is a relatively cheap mod to make to my engine. Question is is it worth putting in. What benefits can I get from one and can anyone recommend a decent kit?

Cheers
kbox! :thumbsup:

If you but an induction kit in you'll have to remap your car. Subaru's are very finicky. do anything at all and you have to remap. A basic remap cost anything from €800 to €1000 euro depending on the make of ECU you go for. So is it worth that, If I'm wrong in What I'm saying one of the lads will But it right but thats my understanding.

[quote author=kbox link=topic=2782.msg26248#msg26248 date=1183106871]
Well lads I'm looking to get somemore info from someone if you dont mind. An induction kit is a relatively cheap mod to make to my engine. Question is is it worth putting in. What benefits can I get from one and can anyone recommend a decent kit?

Cheers
kbox! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I wouldent bother and like Eric said there very dangerous if not mapped for them or at least checked. Id stick with a Panel filter unless you are getting mapped and doing a few other mods aswell.

Damo

I would'nt say thats 100% accurate information lads i know of a number of scoobys with induction kits and no remap all without issue, I also have an email fom pipercross and Graham Goode stating a remap is not required with short ram induction kits once it has the same diameter pipe as the original, where the AFM is fitted.

Hey Doc, I should have stated in the above post that it was my opinon sorry. Lots of different opinions on this but this is mine. A really good induction kit that is suppose to get ALOT more cold air in should damge the engine if not mapped for it. The likes of the APS ones have killed engines before with no map because its so efficient and does such a great job.  There are lots of people running them without maps but there are also lots more people who have MAJOR problems when there fitted.

IMO in this case an induction kit is totally unnecessary on his car and will most likely lose him performance and run the risk of damage. Even if it was just a 10% chance of a failure that should be enough reason NOT to fit one as the cons are far greater then the pro's. Regardless of what Pipercross or GG Racing say any changes in the induction track will / should change fueling and ignition timing and therefor dangerous and IMO must be mapped to suit the revised airflow pattern. You wont know if its changed it for the better or worse otherwise and completely defeats the purpose of having one.

My opinion and rule of thumb  :D is dont change or modify ANY of the breathing on an Impreza if your not going to map for it.

1 it could cause alot of damage.
2 Imprezas dont react to bigger turbos, manifolds, decats , induction kits unless the car is mapped to optimise and take advantage of the bolt on mods. Id suspect Pipercrss would sell alot less induction kits if the cost of a remap went hand and hand.

Damo

Well the last thing I want to do is fubar my engine so I'll leave. Thanks again for the info!

dont bother with an induction kit. Stick in a panel filter from K&N or Green.

as renno said above.........

cons outweigh the pros.........
unless your getting mapped....... there is no point.

[quote author=thedoc link=topic=2782.msg26370#msg26370 date=1183202711]
The only thing they are good for is making noise really
http://www.scoobytuner.com/tuning/?tSfID1=4&tuningID=2
[/quote]

Yeah it sais there too. Quote below.

"A side benefit of a cold air intake is that great "sucking" or gulping sound the engine makes when you get on the gas. There is a big debate on Cold air intakes on Subaru’s, saying that they aren’t good for them. This is true, but only if you are not running any engine management. If you don’t have any engine management then it would be a wise decision to hold off on this until you have some sort of engine management in line. "

Well Lads if ya do decide to get an induction kit and a re- map
get the Roger Clarke Motorsport one that Michael Spec C fitted
it's mental no need for a dumpvalve with that baby :D

Niall.

i have one of those protec ones in my car and it seems to run fine if not better than before so could i be doing damage to the eng or am i just lucky?

If the filter for the induction kit is in the engine compartment. Sureley the air being sucked in is warmer than what is taken in through the standard airbox?

Sorry just read that link above. IMO I dont think its worth putting in for the obvious cons for having it. I've already wrecked a sax vts engine in the past from sucking water into the engine. I dont want that to happen to my scooby

It depends what kit you use. IMO the RCM and APS ones are the best. Im not keen on the steel gauze ones like blitz purely because they seem to heat up alot more then K+N based ones and then the PC foam ones tend to let little bits of foam into the engine.

Once your in motion the induction kit getting hot isent as big an issue but when driving slow or stationary in traffic then the filter takes hot air from the radiator / engine bay. Wont make much difference on a classic car because the standard intake takes its supply from the engine bay anyway but on the newage car it has a plastic duct bringing cold air in which is a bonus.

RE: removing resinator box from air intake...
This is definately the next mod for my forester!
Great idea!! :thumbsup:
Dan

Back