wheel bearing gone?

dossie01

Petrolheads
How can ya tell for sure if a wheel bearing is gone. just my luck if it is, only put the 18s on 2 days ago. Its a bit of a strange one, defo coming from the front of the car.
I got 2 new tyres yesterday, budget tyres, triangle, had to change them coz i didnt want the diff damaged wirh having different width tyres on the axles, and they were all I could afford. Triangle are known for giving off more road noise than most, so I dont know if its that or a bearing gone!

Will there be play in the wheel or any way of telling?

cheers

as far as i know dave u should be able to hear some sort of a whining noise from the wheel if the bearing is gone

I've those stupid triangles on my Impreza temporally and they give allot of road noise. And I hope your not planning on cornering quick in the wet!

Steve.

Jack the car up. Grab the tyre at 12 and 6 and push and pull both sides in a rocking motion. If the wheel moves then the bearing needs replacing.

As above.. jack car and wiggle at 12 & 6... and try 9 & 3!

I'd a similar prob years ago but with no noise... brake pedal would go soft after turning a corner as play in bearing/hub would cause disc to push pads/pistons back and give no brakes... pump pedal once and brakes would come back! Scary when on a twisty road... :shock2:

Anyways... make sure that bearings ... if knackered... don't get too bad as it'll damage hub and new hubs can be pricey... I learnt the hard way! :doh:

cheers lads, i'll jack her up later and see what happens. could just be them tyres, sounds like a 747 coming in to land when im driving!

i agree with john youl will here this rotten whining noise as if the wheel was bout to fall off.

Back