Spark Plugs for 03 B4

dossie01

Petrolheads
Well lads, what spark plugs will I be needing for my 2003 new shape B4.
Should I be looking at replacing the coil pack on her, its only got 57 k at the min. Not giving any trouble.

Most Impreza lads use NGK PFR6B's for a standard engine and NGK PFR7B's for a modded one if that's any use. :thumbsup:

Yeah they're like 40 or 50 quid in Halfords, I get 15% off with my Axa card as well. You can have a loan of it if you want, I do be down at the Blanch one allot :thumbsup:

Steve.

@ dan That lad I know i was telling u about, knows his stuff. He just annoys me by breaking the engine cover clips all the time :angry1:

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=23736.msg282863#msg282863 date=1274356634]
@ dan That lad I know i was telling u about, knows his stuff. He just annoys me by breaking the engine cover clips all the time :angry1:
[/quote]

just let him now that is very different setup from any other Subaru so may take him longer than he thinks! last place i got mine done recently said they had to take of some of the engine mounts and lift the engine up for 1 of the plugs!

get genuine plugs from dealer, about 60 euro i thinlk

I think they knowingly put these serviceable parts in hard to reach / impossible to reach places just so ya have to go to a main stealer to get it done. loada me hooop!

id say check with the traders here , something tells me they are a different plug than above

dan, a look at legacygt.com. Great thread about changing the plugs diy. Not an easy job by any means but looks like it can be done without having to pay the stealers. Seriously contemplating giving it a go. All suggest rotating the coil 180 deg when removing and putting back in.

Anyone ever done it on new shape leggy?

[quote author=dossie01 link=topic=23736.msg287884#msg287884 date=1276120877]
dan, a look at legacygt.com. Great thread about changing the plugs diy. Not an easy job by any means but looks like it can be done without having to pay the stealers. Seriously contemplating giving it a go. All suggest rotating the coil 180 deg when removing and putting back in.

Anyone ever done it on new shape leggy?
[/quote]

too much hassle doing them yourself, i say that thread alright. one of the things you dont want to mess up on, like if you thread the spark plugs in wrong or something, very awkward to fix! I was only charged 1 hour labour for it though, they said next one would be at least 2 since they know the work involved now!

I hear what your sayin Dan, but if needs must. all about being careful and not ham fisted, tighter than a nuns chuff our engine bay. Just comes down to money, wont scrimp on the plugs, but i dont mind spending a few hours doing it right. its difficult but not impossible. Hardest part i can see is the rear plug drivers side, loadsa ancilliaries goin on above it so not much room. with air box out it would give more space, but air con and engine mount are close too. Reckon it needs about 3 - 4 hours and the right equiptment.

It will be a week or 2 before i even get near it if i do go ahead, i might trial taking out the airbox etc and see what room i have to play with.
as regards putting the plugs in, a little bit of oil will help guide them in on correct threads, but trial and error will tell all. Sure a subaru mechanic could do the same( at least ya have come back there i suppose)

I knew that owning one of these motors was expensive, but the likes of oil changes, plugs, coolant etc arent impossible to do yourself. would llike to keep these kind of costs under control.

Back