Timing - Can anyone explain it?

Codders

Member Number 162Full ISDC Members 2015
Hi guys

I finally put my hands on my Scooby after its return from panel beaters.

I took the timing belt covers and ...well.. I'm quite confused now, as far as I know all the signs should match both on the right and left side.. whereas in my car they don't.
I put the left side on signs as it should be - the right side don't match at all..

There is NO WAY the belt could have slipped as it's quite tight.

LEFT
img0465h.jpg

RIGHT
img0466q.jpg

Any ideas? :ponder2:

P.S. I know the lower pulley is damaged - but still it shouldn't affect the upper one at all :doh:

Trust me the belt has slipped or the damaged pulley has moved on the cam.

Either way the timing is out. The marks II allign together and the mark I alligns with the mark on the timing belt cover and the mark on the belt.

Hey guys.. they are alligning together.. even if the lower cam stays still.. they just don't match the other side..

The crankshaft pulley is on 0. seems ok

-so defo on both sides the double marks should come together, yeah?

ye man defo the single marks go to the outer edge of timing cover the doubles meet each other on both sides of the engine and the crank should be at zero

[quote author=Codders link=topic=23452.msg280185#msg280185 date=1273353861]
Hey guys.. they are alligning together.. even if the lower cam stays still.. they just don't match the other side..

The crankshaft pulley is on 0. seems ok

-so defo on both sides the double marks should come together, yeah?
[/quote]

Yeah the II marks are meant to be together.

Even though the belt feels tight they can slip especially with an impact. just remove the belt get a new pulley, re allign everything and put the belt back on :thumbsup:

think i have a set of pully's if your interested in one or two?? iv no use for thm anymore.
there is a chip on one of em tho but not an issue i dont think.

they might not all line up with one rotation, it may take a few full rotaions to line up correct

[quote author=KENC link=topic=23452.msg280637#msg280637 date=1273531262]
they might not all line up with one rotation, it may take a few full rotaions to line up correct
[/quote]

True, but when the crank is alligned and the left 2 are alligned then the right 2 should be alligned too :thumbsup:

normally takes two rotations of the crank pully for for it to line up on cam pullies and two rotations again to line up ect ect.....

Ive been trying to remove the crankshaft pulley today.. Locked it on 5th gear, my mate inside keeping on brakes....

No way :new_puppy_dog_eyes: It's so tight, I've broken the wheelbrace socket :| have to buy a new one tomorrow and try again.. ? :dontknow:

[quote author=wagon dec link=topic=23452.msg280898#msg280898 date=1273615949]
i usually have to use a 2foot pull bar and socket they can be tight alright
[/quote]

As Dec said, I use a long power bar and an impact socket, oh and try 3rd gear instead while holding the brakes

Back