6 speed box into an rx ? ?

tommy 555

Member Number 935
Is it possible to put a 6 speed sti box into the rx ?

what issues would i run into , be 2 handy if it were a straight fit :ponder2: so im expecting to hear i need shafts , diff , hubs . if so i wont bother even looking at the idea ,

non dccd box , :thumbsup:

yup shafts, diff and hubs will need to be matched with the box, better getting them off the car you getting the box from, not sure but maybe mounts could be different, depending on year :ponder:

If you can get an R160 rear diff to match the 6 speed box (i think you can, maybe ask what some of the lads on SN with classic saloons have done), then you only need the sti prop, clutch, flywheel and starter motor...

If you are going to put an R180 rear diff in, then you will need, hubs, shafts... Well basically transplant a complete rear beam including brakes etc...

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23372.msg279760#msg279760 date=1273177339]
Why would you Tommy??
Dan
[/quote]

why not ?

Might have brembo's sourced , going to get whiteline gear under her ,

and seen as i'l never get rid of the car and really want to throw the eaton charger on her i thought the 6 speed would be a nice addition ,

most of what i have planned wont happen until the car is paid off but i'm a fecker for looking into things like this ,

would be a truely one off car imo ,

I'm sure many people ask you why a forester ? especially as the power your after would appear much easier achieved in an impreza its just a case of individual ideas and taste .

i imagine i have alot of homework to do before i know for sure whats possible

The 6 speed would be nice with a blower of some sort where you can map the torque curve with the n/a might actually hamper performance..would love to hear the flat 4 with a super charger good plan..the whine and rumble would be a unique touch

6 speed and a supercherger sounds good to me

i cant see why the 6 speed just'nt work once you have all the peaces

are they making supercharger conversions for them now?

If the newage 2.0 RX rear hubs are the same as the newage 2.0 WRX then you can use an R180 rear diff and shafts, and the 6 speed. If they not the same then you only need rear hubs and shafts from a newage.

Simple project IMO, and well worth it if your going super charger :thumbsup:

*edit*

If going with Brembo brakes, then best to get 01 - 04 sti rear hubs, so no adapters are needed :thumbsup:

Newage WRX's don't come with R180 diffs and fatter rear shafts do they? Are they not R160 diffs with small shafts?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23372.msg279855#msg279855 date=1273225540]
Newage WRX's don't come with R180 diffs and fatter rear shafts do they? Are they not R160 diffs with small shafts?
[/quote]

Not 100% on the diff but they defo come with fat shafts :thumbsup:

R160 only takes the smaller shafts and the R180 takes fat shafts and pretty sure the newage wrx's didnt come with limited slip R180's :ponder2: :dontknow:

Newage wrx's came with the classic sti 5 speed gearbox and r160 rear diff setup and newage sti's came with the 6 speed and limited slip diff's like in the type-r and ra or so i thought :ponder2:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23372.msg279859#msg279859 date=1273226463]
R160 only takes the smaller shafts and the R180 takes fat shafts
[/quote]

I know that man,

But either way, as I said above, all that he'd possibly need is sti hubs and shafts, not a abig thing, no need to change the rear subframe or anything :thumbsup:

I know what he'd need based on what i said in my first post because I had to do similar myself but I'm just trying to clarify the situation because WRX's didn't come with R180 diffs afaik so how can they come with the fat shafts? I'm only asking the question because I thought they either have an r160 with skinny shafts (wrx) or an r180 with fats shafts (sti) and want to know if i'm wrong :thumbsup:

They don't make an R160 no limited slip that takes fats shafts, do they?

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=23372.msg279789#msg279789 date=1273181316]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23372.msg279760#msg279760 date=1273177339]
Why would you Tommy??
Dan
[/quote]

why not ?

Might have brembo's sourced , going to get whiteline gear under her ,

and seen as i'l never get rid of the car and really want to throw the eaton charger on her i thought the 6 speed would be a nice addition ,

most of what i have planned wont happen until the car is paid off but i'm a fecker for looking into things like this ,

would be a truely one off car imo ,

I'm sure many people ask you why a forester ? especially as the power your after would appear much easier achieved in an impreza its just a case of individual ideas and taste .

i imagine i have alot of homework to do before i know for sure whats possible
[/quote]

in same boat as making plans but have to pay her off first !!

good thinkin tommy , she would be unique :subaru: :thumbsup:

Good man tommy
I'd love to see her supercharged!
Fairplay man :thumbsup:

It is nice to have something different!
Dan

[quote 6 speed and a supercherger sounds good to me

are they making supercharger conversions for them now?
[/quote]

scary sounding,but cool

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/brxKZYHlSRY"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">

ohh no sounds like a hairdryer 2 me ,

thats the raptor kit and personally think its a weak effort as that car is on standard internals ,

there is a yellow classic sport special in the uk with an Eaton charger and sounds better than that plus the internals have been upgraded

I like that it feeds into a standard top mounted intercooler!!
That's cool,
Your internals would be grand upto 330-350 (Classic sti style) wouldn't they??
Nitrous would suit the supercharged well
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23372.msg280026#msg280026 date=1273268982]
Your internals would be grand upto 330-350 (Classic sti style) wouldn't they??
[/quote]

i wouldnt like pushing a car that puts out 160 brake up to 260 with out changing few bits , seen as its an ej20 block there is no excuse not to strenghten it up , cams need changing 2 as far as i know plus front mount would look the part ,

Basically i think i need to buy a bug eye thats only fit for breaking and canabilise it for brakes shafts diffs gearbox etc etc , this should be fun when i get round to it all

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=23372.msg279853#msg279853 date=1273225353]
If the newage 2.0 RX rear hubs are the same as the newage 2.0 WRX then you can use an R180 rear diff and shafts, and the 6 speed. If they not the same then you only need rear hubs and shafts from a newage.

Simple project IMO, and well worth it if your going super charger :thumbsup:

*edit*

If going with Brembo brakes, then best to get 01 - 04 sti rear hubs, so no adapters are needed :thumbsup:
[/quote]
The new age wrx do NOT have fatter drive shafts. So ignore this advice.

Info getting spouted around as factual is on the increase… Which imo is no help to anyone..

@tommy.. As above with correct info its certainly possible to fit a 6speed to your car with correct parts.

6 Speed uk box with 3.9 and matching 3.9 r160 matching rear diff. With prop and cradle. Straight in providing you already have rear discs etc..

Back