Think I Found the Oil usage issue??

scoobienoobie

Sunday Drivers
Well guys.

03 jdm sti, was using about 1L of oil per 600kms.
Pulled the motor out of it on sunday and took the heads off, then the cams and did another leak down test.
Took the cams out just incase the valve shims were tight an holding the valve open.

Anyway, here is how the suspect piston looked!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97543863@N00/4577799407/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97543863@N00/4577799403/

Ps, how do you get the pic to come up as part of the post?
Putting the [/img] on either end doesnt seem to do it.....

That looks nasty enough!!! any idea how it happened?
whats the rebuild plans?

Ye it looks rough! Explains the oil usage and 25psi on compression test!

Loose plan at the moment is:

4 new pistons (prob wossner, open to opinions of others)
Send turbo off for rebuild (still works fine but quite a bit of play in the shaft, again open to opinions on who to send it to)
New clutch as the one thats in it has been roasted, i reckon previous owner must have been fond of launching it.
Timing belt, water pump and all the pulleys.
Then obviously a full set of gaskets.

Then once its back running, and NCT'd

Stick on the full 3' turbo back de-cat, induction kit, map, an maybe even some Octane booster and let her loose!
:subaru:

Anyone think I'm over looking anything here?
Should i be replacing big end shells?

Yeah that'd cause it alright, Onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

wonder why it happened... so it doesnt happen agian... :ponder2:

was it mapped, shxt driven out of it or something like that.. i was told the piston near the turbo is first to go if engined redened

Loooking at the dyno plots I got with it I wouldn't have a very high regard for the tuner. 4 dyno plots from different days, the last 1 showing 404bhp on a standard vf37! Looking at the face of the flywheel an clutch I'd guess it's done a few 2 many launchs down the quater mile, combined with over fueling may have caused piston damage. It's piston on left hand side front cylinder, so not closest to turbo.

Anyone got opinions on where to send the turbo for sorting?

100% Detonation is your cause.....

A VF37 can no way watsoever flow enough for 404bhp. On e5/uk v power your in around 340bhp.

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=23339.msg279324#msg279324 date=1273018380]
100% Detonation is your cause.....

A VF37 can no way watsoever flow enough for 404bhp. On e5/uk v power your in around 340bhp.
[/quote]

I'd say you've probably hit the nail on the head there, because when in 4-6th gear if you put the foot down, you could feel the ECU pulling timing, and prob due to DET. I thought it was because it had been mapped for 3' de-cat but previous owner had been running OEM exhaust.....

Anyway, i'll send the injectors of for testing and get her sorted over the next month. Hopefully she'll be trouble free then!

ps.
I know some uk tuners have claimed 370bhp from standard vf37, but that is the absolute max! 350 is reasonably achievable from what I've been able to find.

Back