TrackDay

TerryNavan

Middle Lane Hogs
Looking at the upcoming track day for members and just have a couple of questions,
The standard 2 Pot Calipers on My WRX, how long would they last on track?
Have a set of Nankangs to put on the car soon so was wondering what would they be like on track?
What common issues do the subarus which have not been rebuilt have when driven on track?

Sorry although never had any issues with my Subaru and with the belief that it has been rebuilt already I would like to do a track day but if there is some pre run checks on the car and track what would they be?

Hey terry, get yourself a decent set of pads and you should be ok. As for the nankangs, you better hope it's a dry day!!

as above terry, up grade your pads and fluid and hope that its dry, but even if its dry the tyres will cause under steer and if its wet they will cause understeer and oversteer which could be fun

[quote author=TerryNavan link=topic=23302.msg278672#msg278672 date=1272829804]
Are they really that bad? I have a set on the wifes passat and they have never skipped a beat?
[/quote] nankangs are grand terry,
ive being using um on my legacy for the past 2 years and there grand in all weather and driving conditions.....

Good pads, fluid and braided hoses is the best place to start.. You'll get maybe 3-4 laps out of the pads then before they start to go off.. If you want more then you should look into track pads... imo though 3-4 laps is more than enough then come in and let everything cool down...

No common issue with cars that haven't been rebuilt, nothing that wouldn't happen to every car... Just watch out for overheating but coming in after 3-4 hot laps would keep the temps from building too high..

ya 3 or 4 hard laps and the v5 sti brakes with good pads were gone on mine coming down the straight into the 1st corner..poor gearbox and handbrake.
the nankangs did fine for me when i did it.

just do a cool down in the yard when you come in and leave it running for a while, dont put the handbrake on either.

if you can get into this link, it will help you
http://www.dtdirl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2227

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23302.msg278687#msg278687 date=1272832872]
Good pads, fluid and braided hoses is the best place to start.. You'll get maybe 3-4 laps out of the pads then before they start to go off.. If you want more then you should look into track pads... imo though 3-4 laps is more than enough then come in and let everything cool down...

No common issue with cars that haven't been rebuilt, nothing that wouldn't happen to every car... Just watch out for overheating but coming in after 3-4 hot laps would keep the temps from building too high..
[/quote]

Exactly what I would say!!
I'd only add that you should do a warm up lap, and a cool down lap every time you go out!

You'll be grand! C'mon
Dan

Thanks lads, I'm assuming she was rebuilt because when i was doing the cam covers gaskets there a couple of months ago the mechanic that was with me was saying that the cams were a later version sti set and i think it was gasket sealer or something could be seen inside the engine and from factory you wouldn't see any (not sure if it was a gasket sealer or something similar), so if it wasn't rebuilt and has 96k miles on her, any other issues that is common for the subaru?

As well as the above!
Just give her a full service a little while before the trackday, Including Coolant, (less likely to be affected by the high temps)
Also usefull easy upgrades that would be very worth while,
Fit Zero/Sports thermostat while you have the coolant out,
Pull off your front wheels and adjust the front camber in as much as the camber bolts will let you! doesn't really affect the tracking and will greatly increase front end cornering grip!
Regarding front brake pads, Avoid EBC pads,(they suck) Carbon lorraines are the job!
Dan

Regarding front brake pads, Avoid EBC pads,(they suck) Carbon lorraines are the job!
Dan
[/quote]

i have red stuff pads on my v5 coupe and am in the process of changing them.my pajero jeep has better pedal response!

My brand new EBC Yellow stuff (most track oriantated pads) have just worn away after just 2 trackdays!!
And the brakes were not great!
Dan

iv used ebc yellows with grooved discs on my wagon for 3 trips to the ring each trip would average 20-25 laps thats roughly 260-300 track miles and iv never had any issues with them i think they are one of the best road/track pads and life may short but they work and ebc now have blue stuff pads out and they are made to last for endurance so problem solved if any pads are used too much they will cook just my opinion :thumbsup:

Good to know regarding the blue stuff!
Mondello is hard on brakes, more so than the ring! I know the ring is much faster, but lots of high speed between braking really helps disperse teh heat build up that prematurely wears pads, you can do the ring on road spec pads!
I have the EBC grooved/drilled discs and brake cooling ducts,
It was my first time using Yellow stuff, and I found they didn't last or perform well compared to my previous Mintex 1155 pads,
I use Padget Yellows on the forester's porsche brakes,and they lasted two years, and I think Padget and EBC are owned by the same people,??
I'm sure there are different batches as well that would affect the quality!
Do you not find that the peddle is dead for the first couple of applications in the mornings???
I'm looking forward to trying the Carbon Lorraines!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23302.msg278949#msg278949 date=1272925726]
Good to know regarding the blue stuff!
Mondello is hard on brakes, more so than the ring! I know the ring is much faster, but lots of high speed between braking really helps disperse teh heat build up that prematurely wears pads, you can do the ring on road spec pads!
I have the EBC grooved/drilled discs and brake cooling ducts,
It was my first time using Yellow stuff, and I found they didn't last or perform well compared to my previous Mintex 1155 pads,
I use Padget Yellows on the forester's porsche brakes,and they lasted two years, and I think Padget and EBC are owned by the same people,??
I'm sure there are different batches as well that would affect the quality!
Do you not find that the peddle is dead for the first couple of applications in the mornings???
I'm looking forward to trying the Carbon Lorraines!
Dan
[/quote]peddle is a little dead first couple of times but after that its grand as for the doin the ring on standard pads not something i would try considering there is some parts of the track like down into aremburg that your braking from 140+ mph down to bout 40 and also the ring is very hilly ,i think everyone finds a pad that they feel comfortable with it and sticks to it for the confidence it gives just my opinion......

The time attack winner (mostly around mondello) uses EBC Yellow stuff, so thats a bit of a sweeping statement to say all EBC are sh!t.

Just my experiance my friend! :thumbsup:
Time attack cars have a hell of alot of brake ducting also, plus he probably changes them regularly!
As above, dead peddle first thing, gone after 3 trackdays! and not very convidence inspiring while they were on!
I'll not be using them again, and I won't recommend them to anyone!
Dan

Some interesting stuff there
@Dan, you said about removing the wheels and adjusting the camber, how is that done?

Take off the front wheel,
There are two 19mm nuts and bolts behind the top of the brake discs, (where the wheel hub is bolted to the strut)
Mark the top bolts and the strut where they meet, so you can reset everything after if you want!
Loosen the two sets, (19mm spanner and 19 socket with a power bar) get one out of halfords, (for feck all deadly tool)! it will be hard the first time,
Make sure the hub can wobble loose, then push the top of the wheel in while rotating the top camber bolt untill she is as far back as possible!
Tighten everything, really tighten them!!

Drive on the same as before, only with less understeer! :dance:
Dan

Back