Trying to come up with good ideas for an engine torque brace!!

F

forester sti

My engine rocks around when coming on and off power,
I tryed Group N engine mounts but they were too harsh, they transfered all the vibrations from the engine through to the car,
So standard ones back on!
I was thinking of helping them out by adding extra braces going (at a bit of an angle) for the top of the inlet manifold to the front of the suspension turret
A solid bar with rubber mounts or something like that, like I drew on the pic below!
Any one have any better ideas??
Thanx
Dan

you could use a small dampener like on a motor bike handling bars or bonnett dampeners

motor cycle dampener is a perfect idea! :thumbsup:
Can you fing any examples on the net of the engine dampener kit andy??
Dan

@ Mark, that bracket is the "pitch stabilizer" I need the roll stabilizer for the twisting action from the torque!
Thanx anyway,

@ Jamie, I have seen the engine being lifted out of the car by the inlet manifold!
Maybe I could first mount a bracket tieing all the mounts on the top of the manifold together, then a couple of stabilizers off that, to spread the load!!

Phil (scoobymaniac) is probably the best man to talk about motorcycle dampeners, he's a bike mechanic :thumbsup:

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23103.msg276525#msg276525 date=1272219852]
@ Jamie, I have seen the engine being lifted out of the car by the inlet manifold!
[/quote]

Yes, but thats not done 1000's of times... Constant on and off trottle causing the engine to move will stress the alloy to fatigue and crack... Bend a paper clip and it won't break but bend it 10 times on the same point and it will.. metal fatigue..

throw your point on scoobynet dan as theres plenty of guys running high torque figures that may have found a solution!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

Dan

A couple of engine torque dampners is exactly what ya need!!!!
Mate had 1 he bought in in CDA (from Nick) on his wagon a few years ago

great job and no extra vibration thru the car

Dan,

I think if you mount a gass strut - like the ones used to prop up your boot lid! You can get them to take different forced to move them and different lengths aswell as mounting eyes. - Infact I deal with a company weekly Ill get you the contacts if you want.

The gas strut is the way to go but, there is enough give in it (as long as you spec it right) and you can have it thats its not holding the motor severly ridged. Up to you man.

Rgds

Paddy

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23103.msg276538#msg276538 date=1272223216]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=23103.msg276525#msg276525 date=1272219852]
[/quote]

Yes, but thats not done 1000's of times... Constant on and off trottle causing the engine to move will stress the alloy to fatigue and crack... Bend a paper clip and it won't break but bend it 10 times on the same point and it will.. metal fatigue..
[/quote]

As per Robbie above... constant on/off loading will definately damage your manifold. Even the STI ones are made of pourous alloy and wouldn't be the strongest castings.

Good man hammie!
I do beleive that is the pitch stablizer that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall!
I need side to side support,
I'll look into the bonnet damper, motorbike damper idea first and I'll let you's know how I get on!
Thanx for the great ideas and help there lads!
Dan

nope a pitch dampner is actually thicker and stronger than that 1!!!
that attaches to the chasis leg and the engine block on the passenger side on the front of the block!!!

thats where Shane had his till he blew the engine and sold it on!!!!

I might just have a photo somewhere!!! Ill see can i dig it out for ya!!!

Back