Which oil

Everyone seems to have a differant opinion on oil and what there preference is and most dont agree. My preference is Motul 300v 15-50. Its a TRUE ester based fully synthetic oil unlike alot that claim to be and even say it on the tin. The likes of Motul, Silkolene Pro S and Millers CFS range are all ester based oils but some may say its over kill but Id prefer to spend the extra few quid and use one of the above and hopefully get a little extra protection. Alot of lower grade synthetic oils use hydrocracked mineral oils and sell them and label them as fully synthetic. My last engine lasted great with over 125 thousand miles on it and running fine when It was takin out. Ive the 2.35 now and running that on Motul 15-50 and wouldent swap for anything else now.

Damo

I couldn't possibly give you such a technical answer as Damien just gave you there, but I get my car serviced by a rally mechanic who works on WRC cars all the time so I suspect he knows what he is doing, and he only puts that motul oil in my car, so thats good enough for me.

[quote author=kbox link=topic=2658.msg24870#msg24870 date=1182203397]
Is Duckhams synthetic 15w/40 any good for a WRX engine?
[/quote]

No that be no good.....

Recommend Above oil..

have a read through the above thread...

Thanks. i think I'll invest in the club memebrship. Definitely worth it even for the free info on the forum!

Nice one. :thumbsup: :subaru: Just to get my spoke in, I rang subaru Ireland when doing my oil and they said that 10w 40 Semi sintatic was the one that they found best pro formed and protected in this country.

[quote author=ericsti link=topic=2658.msg25087#msg25087 date=1182349521]
Nice one.  :thumbsup:  :subaru: Just to get my spoke in, I rang subaru Ireland when doing my oil and they said that 10w 40 Semi sintatic  was the one that they found best pro formed and protected in this country.
[/quote]

Eric did Subaru acctually say that 10/40 semi syn was the BEST or did they say its minimum requirement. Whatever about the debate of Fully syn being needed or if its over kill I cant see how they can suggest that a semi offers the same protection or even better as they have said in this case then a proper fully syn. Fully Synthetic handles heat alot better, doesnt loose its grade and wear rates should be better aswell.

Damo

Nice one.  :thumbsup:  :subaru: Just to get my spoke in, I rang subaru Ireland when doing my oil and they said that 10w 40 Semi sintatic  was the one that they found best pro formed and protected in this country.
[/quote]

This is the recommended oil for a totally standard irish 208 bhp car........

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=2658.msg25191#msg25191 date=1182382472]
Nice one. :thumbsup: :subaru: Just to get my spoke in, I rang subaru Ireland when doing my oil and they said that 10w 40 Semi sintatic was the one that they found best pro formed and protected in this country.
[/quote]

[/quote]
you got that right Dave....it's all i have ever used... every 4k never had a problem in 5 years.

[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=2658.msg25194#msg25194 date=1182383167]
[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=2658.msg25191#msg25191 date=1182382472]
[/quote]

[/quote]
you got that right Dave....it's all i have ever used... every 4k never had a problem in 5 years.
[/quote]

I dont think you would need to change the oil every 4 thousand miles in a standard car. I do mine every 5 thou or so.

Damo

I called a number of main dealers on this and they were all using 10W40 various brands Maxol,Shell etc. I personally feel if this is what they use on cars under warranty then it must be up to the job. I've been using 1040 for three years without issue and dont see the need to pay three times the price for something thats not required, surely Subaru would'nt put their ass on the line by using inadequate oil.

[quote author=thedoc link=topic=2658.msg25261#msg25261 date=1182431383]
I called a number of main dealers on this and they were all using 10W40 various brands Maxol,Shell etc. I personally feel if this is what they use on cars under warranty then it must be up to the job. I've been using 1040 for three years without issue and dont see the need to pay three times the price for something thats not required, surely Subaru would'nt put their ass on the line by using inadequate oil.
[/quote]

It is up to the job in most cases and with standard cars. Its not inadequate either its just not one of the better oils. The 10-40 bit is fine, the reason I wouldent use what they say is because the low quaity of semi syn oil, It breaks down into hard particles, Which will have a bad effect on big ends and mains and most likely cause failures. On cars that are not standard Semi cant take the temps.

On another note which Im not sure about but did Suabru not change there oil rating for newage cars to 5w30 from 10 40 that was in the GC8 book ? which is very thin . Eric / Doc did they ask you what model impreza it was. Can someone with a newage car check there owners manuel or service book and see what grade Oil it sais to use. Might be from 03 on ?

Damo

I told them I had a MY03 STI and that I wanted the best for the engine, they said 10W40 Semi. I asked them the same yesterday about the Jap cars and they said that they didn't know for sure but that he'd say it was the same but that he would only stand by Irish and uk cars.

Back