Anyone ever done research on Ported and wrapped Standard headers??

F

forester sti

My RCM headers keep splitting!
When we pull them straight, they split somewhere else! :wall:
So, I'm looking for a reliable good option!
Has anyone every done and research on a big turbo'd car comparing Tubular headers to Ported standard headers??
I found an artical on a 330 bhp 2L scooby who said they got better spool and torque with ported Vrs tubular, but lost 5 bhp off the top end!!
That's on a 330bhp car running AFP modded TD04 turbo
Any ideas what it would be like on a 450bhp/510lb-ft+ with an MD321t+ (GT30) turbo??
The next tubular option is WRC spec €4000 headers :doh:

What you's think :icon_confused:
Dan

Either get Gt spec or go back standard newage, ment to be able to deal with 600bhp?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23066.msg276200#msg276200 date=1272053654]
GT spec are the same as the RCM ones, aren't they? Just different brands afaik..
[/quote]
Yep!!

I'm strongly considering trying these ported standard newage headers!!
They are meant to be great for quick early spool up and low and mid range torque, not so good for high end bhp, :ponder:
So I wonder what that will do to my 511lb/ft @2850
Dan

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=23066.msg276200#msg276200 date=1272053654]
GT spec are the same as the RCM ones, aren't they? Just different brands afaik..
[/quote]

I heard that too Robbie, both are made in the same factory or something along the lines.

pm harvey over on scoobynet dan!!!!
he's very good on this kind of stuff and i'm sure he has dealt with lads running big power....
what do RCM have to say???
surely they have an answer...
:ponder2: :ponder2:

Seemingly they don'y hear any bad things about there tubular headers,
I know 3 lads not inc myself that have issues with them, According to some lads, the metal just gets brittle with use eventually snaps, like they are a disposable item!!
RCM's recommendation is the same WRC spec set from the gobstopper!! £4000 stg (where is that puke smiley?)
It looks like all the tubular headers are either made by the same crowd, or are copies of that same crowd
If nobody comes up with any arguement against, I'll order a set of Ported and wrapped headers with a custom up pipe on monday!
In my (carpenters) opinion, the 4 into 1 collector at the bottom of the tubular headers looks like a restrictive bottle neck for gas flow!
The standard layout of the ported are 4 into 2 into the up pipe! So you would think that would work better??? :dontknow:
I suppose I'll see!
I gave my old set of headers away to someone when I swapped to the tubular ones, so I suppose I may get cracking looking for a set if anyone knows if there is a set lying around???
Is there a difference in types over the years??
Dan

also dan i think in the usa they change the intermidiate pipe from one side of manifold to the other with a larger bore item

have standard sti9 headers in the shed but have alan-hks name on them....but if he doesnt want them your welcome to them!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
also have a set of tubular headers with up-pipe that i will be taking off for a different set pretty soon in great condition!!

im still taking them mark when can i collect them or can we meet up some were sure gimme a bell or ill give u a buzz durin the week thanks :thumbsup:

@ Dec, I'll look into that, thanx

@ Mark, Hmmmmmm
What kind of tubular headers mark??
It might be an option to re-enforce a straight set before fitting! When would you be taking them off??

Dan

@alan...
gonna meet you this week coming man!!!
@dan
maybe a few weeks man...just waiting on delivery of a new set!!!
think the name is kakimoto...they are heat wrapped so not sure!!!
:thumbsup:

Dan, you dont seem to be on for Gt Spec at all.... you wont have issues with them.
Even guys using headers opt to fit standard size up pipe to aid spool up.
I hate headers, there dirty messy looking yokes, and a needless fire risk

Back