Rear Brake

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Having some trouble with the rear passenger side brake. There is a very annoying squeel coming from it that i don't seem to be able to shift. I thought that the pad was glazed so took it off and sanded it back a bit, but the sound is still there. The sound seems to go when the car turns right but as soon as the car straightens up again it is back or if you pull up the handbrake the noise will go away. When i had the pad off at the weekend i noticed that there was a good bit of uneven wear on the pad that faces onto the outside of the disc and even though the pad was only put in about 6 weeks ago it doesn't have much life left in it. That was leading me to think the caliper was sticking but after looking at the piston it seems to be moving fairly freely. Could it still be a sticky caliper? Or a warped disc perhaps? Bad pads?

I'm out of ideas at this stage!! Anyone got any more suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
Mark :thumbsup:

check the pad is moving freely on the caliber or shim

you might need to flie down the pad a little if its sticking

also use a little copper grease when fitting it so it moves freely.

Tried filing down a small bit of the pad runner and stuck on a fair bit of grease but still the same. Thats what has me stumped!

Hi i had something similar but only when the brakes were hot....i just put it down to one of them things :ponder: ....i solved it by turning the radio up!... :icon_biggrin:

maybe its not the brakes

could it be a wheel bearing

Any funny little tapping noises before. like stone in wheel tread or wire slapping off metal.

Kinda same way mine was before bearing committed harra carrie :ponder2:

:smokin:

sounds more like a wheel bearing mark!!!!
would make sense if the squealing occurs more on wheel turning...
give me a shout in the morn if you want me to pop up and check....
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=22977.msg275501#msg275501 date=1271800416]
sounds more like a wheel bearing mark!!!!
would make sense if the squealing occurs more on wheel turning...
give me a shout in the morn if you want me to pop up and check....
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Can't today Mark, have a Confirmation to go to. If your free towards the weekend i might give you a shout! :thumbsup:

Back