crap brakes in my type r

gambit

Sunday Drivers
as above ,my brakes are very poor,not too up in subaru brakes but i reckon they should be a whole load better.my v5 has uprated ebc disks and redstuff pads.there is lots of pad left and the pedal isnt spungy ,but feels very hard.i have bled it twice so it isnt air in the lines.the brakes were like this since i purchased the car,any ideas?

what fliud did you use?
did you clean the discs with brake cleaner?
you really should go for yellow stuff pads

To be honest ive never seen much difference between brake pads for roaduse, the brakes arent massively over good on a classics, but should be better than that, my first try would be to fuk those red stuff pads off, they could be just too hard, there a step up from greenstuff and may need to be well heated up before they work right, i would off though yellow stuff were step up from redstuff as they have ceramic in them??? maybe im wrong. i know a mate of mine ditched reds off his evo cause he nearly wrote her off over them, stick a standard set back on her and see how she is, reckon it will make all the difference

I have Yellow stuff on my skyline, which has exactly the same calipers and discs as the V5 impreza,
My brakes are hard but unaffective untill they have a good bit of heat in them,
ie. they are sh1te driving out of my estate, and for the first brake into the big roundabout, after that they are grand!
Red stuff may be similar!
Ferodo DS2500 seem to be a very popular pad!! You say you bled the fluid?? Did you completely flush the system through (from resevour to each caliper) with fresh good fluid???
You should be happy with that man!!
Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
Dan

If you have a hard peddle, its not fluid related, hard pedal means that the fluid is building pressure fine, its the pad thats not working

I have redstuff pads on mine,I have standard discs and im having the same problem paddles nice and hard just not getting enough bite when braking.Gonna go back to either minitex or carbon lorraine pads.

It would be worth checking that all the indevidual pistons of the calipers are moving freely,
I have heard of pistons seizing
Dan

Back