Drive it home or get it towed? possible oil pressure problem

TommyM

Petrolheads
I fitted an oil pressure gauge today ,after driving 5 miles and i notice my oil light is on ,the oil pressure gauge i fitted is not working either for some reason ,so i guess theres a problem where i replaced the oil pressure sender under the altenator with te new one and its loosing pressure there. there is plenty of oil in the engine. Could i drive it slowly back home 5 miles away or its it not a good idea to drive the car if its possibly loosing oil pressure ?

doubt you lost oil pressure..its just your gauge not working!!!!
wouldnt take the chance myself...too risky IMO!!!

Tow it... the engine will be fooked even after 5mins if theres no oil circulating... Oil light is not a good sign... Not worth the risk imo..

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=22916.msg274427#msg274427 date=1271443524]
did you fit an oil pressure switch adaptor???

[/quote]

no ,the new oil pressure reader went straight in where the oil one came out ,threads same and its good and tight. the gauge didnt work since i fitted it and now the oil light is on so id say i need something that goes between reader and block ?

Obviously you took out the standard oil sensor so that is why your light is on. :dontknow:

But cant see why its not working of your new oil pressure gauge. :ponder:

As dan says if in doubt don't drive mate, and keith makes a good point, could taking the standard sensorout effect it, but can't see why pressure would be effected, but do hope you get sorted man.

Yea i replaced the old oil pressure sensor (under the altenator) with the new one ,the new sensor came with its own loom to go from sensor to new gauge inside ,the standard block connector the was plugged into the old oil pressure sensor is just sitting there in the engine bay now ,could my oil light be on because of this?

Im sick as a dog now as i tightened the new sensor too much last night trying to sort the prob and as soon as i started the car it broke off in the block ,iv oil everywhere now all over bonnet and engine ,couldnt get it turned off for a fieu seconds f**kin turbo timer :icon_cry: that will keep me busy for the day

Just checked my own there tommy,the oem connector is plugged into the top of the new adaptor so that is why your light is on in the car.
As for the gauge not working it must be a wire connection mixed up somewhere :thumbsup:

When i fitted my oil pressure kit i put the oem connector on the top of the sender unit, I drove up the road and the oil light came on. I checked straightaway and the connector came loose from the adaptor i fixed it properly and all was fine, hopefully yours is just that. sorry to hear about the sensor breaking what a mess :wall:

Seantyper is right. have a look at pic 4 in andyc fitting guide :thumbsup:

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=1882.0

Back