Strange idle problem

Ianbhp

Middle Lane Hogs
Hey lads,
Have a problem with my legacy, its idling rough, ticking over @ 800-900rpm, can give a rev up and cut dack down to 600rpm, :wall: also when cold she can seem to stay high in the revs between gears aroung 1800 - 2000 rpm :naughty: when she is hot she is grand though but still often idles a bit low still @ 600rpm any ideas and just to be sure in my 94' single turbo legacy is my idlre control valve located infront of my intercooler to the right hand side as your looking @ the engine? where is my temp sensor located?
Thanks lads :thumbsup:

ya ian the idle control valve is on the right hand side of your intercooler, easy enough to clean out...
your temp sensor is on the left hand side of the engine, its actually in front of the part of the turbo that connects to the intercooler pipe bit,
it should be directly under where your dump valve is, on the classic imprezas its under the alternator but for some reason its buried at the back of the legacys
bit of a balls to change, it took me an hour to do it a few months back..........

hi lad, yup icv is located on the right side of intake mani at the back(kind of sticking out a bit from it, with a connector attached to it). if its the same as impreza engine which i presume it is the coolant temp is under the intake mani, there is a silver metal pipe going from one side to the other, i think there could be two wires going to it and if my memory serves me right its the left one,you will see a bolt shape thing attached to the pipe anyway with wire going to it, thats your coolant temp.
the idle prob sounds like a maf sensor on its way out, happened mine, checked the code and read maf,its still hanging in tho! altho its possible its the coolant temp sensor too! either way hope it helps and best of luck fixing it :thumbsup:

Thanks Johnny and Rob for the detailed description of how to find these bits and pices this wil def help me :icon_pray: and avoid looking at my engine bay consufed for an hour :ponder2:
must get looking over the weekend :thumbsup:

Back