Guide on how to Change Suspension (WANTED)

Hammie

Octane Boostaholics
Hey Lads

Going to drop the standard suspension out of the Wagon and fit the coil overs I bought off 1 of the lads......

Do I really need spring clamps to drop the standard suspension out? If So does anyone have a set of clamps I can borrow?
How do i seperate the break lines from the shocks?

Anyone have a guide that I can take a look over? Just want to make sure I dont get caught up in something half way thru removing everything!!!!

Planning on doing it next weekend!!!! Would have been this weekend only the wife booked us into a hotel Saturday, and arranged a baby sitter for the weekend :653:

If you dont want to take the springs out of the standard shocks you wont need clamps. If so there cheap enough in Halfords.

FRONT
1. Jack car up and take off wheel.
2. remove two big bolts behind brake disc (14 if not mistaken)
3. remove three bolts on top of shock in engine bay (were strut brace does be attached)

REAR
2. remove two big bolts behind brake disc
3. remove three bolts on top of shock situated behind the rear seats

NOTE: fit the coilover in the way old shocks came out. three bolts first on top to hold in place then bottom two. :thumbsup:

Think I have everything there but if I have forgtten anything one of the lads will be along to say. :thumbsup:

first off hammie, i wouldnt be complaining about the wife booking a room for the two of you for the weekend as i'd she has something planed for you :beerbang:

but i would be complaning if she booked a room and didnt tell you and came home with her mini skirt tooked into her tong, :icon_hang:

but back on topic :multijump:

no need for spring clamps anyway.

first off i think on the wagos you can get to the 3 bolts that hold on the topmounts of the shock on the back so i dont think you have to remove seat,just push down flat.

next pick a side you want to work on and jack the car up and put on axel stands.

next you have to take the clip (flat u shape)out that holds the brakeline to the shock, a long flat scew driver and a hammer and you will be able to push it out usually going away from the back of the shock,if your car has never had the shocks changed you will have to cut the backet on the shock that holds the line with a hack saw to take out the break line,or you can disconect the brake lines from the calibers but you will have to bleed the lines again once you contect the lines back to the caliber.

if your car has abs you have to undo the bolt that holds the line to the shock, no big deal just a one 14 out.

next is to take out the two big 19 nut and bolts that hold the shock to the hub behind the brake disc, you will need a breaker bar to do this as they should be very tight, on the front shocks there will be a standard bolt/nut on the bottom and a camber bolt/nut (only on the front) on the top,the camber bolt is oval so to be able to set up the suspenion for +/- camber. next undo the 3 nuts holding the top mounts under the the bonnet at the front of the car and when doing the back at the top of the back seat.

when you fit the coilovers you might need to fit the coilover up into the arch and loosely tighten on the 3 nuts and then line up the coilover to the hub and then you might have to jack up the hub to lift it up to the coilover to put back in the 2 19 nut/bolts.

use that for all for shocks and then go and get your 4 wheel aliament done to get the best from the coilovers, oh dont forget to order that new back as your will brake very soon over a nice pothole :icon_nana:

if you get stuck just give me a bell and i can talk you true it :thumbsup:

Cheers lads

Thats about exactly what i thought but just wanted to make sure i had all the facts before endin up with a car sittin on axel stands with no suspension in it and no way of fittin any lol

Trust me Duffman...... I aint complaining about the hotel :wazzup: :icon_nana:

Will get a few pics up as soon as i get it done!!!! Should look good when nice and low!!!! :xmas_cheers:

Would he find it handier to open the arb links aswell to give him more movement on wisbone?

[quote author=keith555 link=topic=22847.msg273773#msg273773 date=1271212358]
If you dont want to take the springs out of the standard shocks you wont need clamps. If so there cheap enough in Halfords.

FRONT
2. remove two big bolts behind brake disc (14 if not mistaken)
3. remove three bolts on top of shock in engine bay (were strut brace does be attached)

REAR
2. remove two big bolts behind brake disc
3. remove three bolts on top of shock situated behind the rear seats

NOTE: fit the coilover in the way old shocks came out. three bolts first on top to hold in place then bottom two. :thumbsup:

Think I have everything there but if I have forgtten anything one of the lads will be along to say. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Those bolts are 19mm :thumbsup:

[quote author=foresterdave link=topic=22847.msg274007#msg274007 date=1271280840]
:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: dont worry about what your putting in,,,,,,just be carefull with what your taking out :multijump: :icon_nana: :icon_nana:
[/quote]

Ah sure i might just bin em!!!!!! :icon_nana:

haha they will be kept nice and safe man!!!!

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=22847.msg273888#msg273888 date=1271260952]

Will get a few pics up as soon as i get it done!!!! Should look good when nice and low!!!! :xmas_cheers:
[/quote]

Are you sure she won't mind?
I mean given she's bringin you to the hotel, she prob wants it kept private :tongue:

noone mentioned that i would possibly break my back while i was doin these!!!!!
haha

2 done 2 to go!!!!!!!!
easier than i thought it would be actually!!!!!

Think i have an issue with rear camber!!! but i dont know how to set it!!!!
When i drive there is a rubbing & knocking from both wheels at the rear end!!!
faster i drive the more rapid it gets so parked it up for now till i get another look at it!!!
Anyone know how to set rear camber?

I have a few pics taken!!! Ill upload em later and throw them up on here!!!!

you shouldnt have any issue at the back as the bolts at the back are straight cut, its only on the front that has a camber bolt.

jack the back of the car up and turn the wheel to see were the rubbing is coming from as it could be from a lose brake line

02052010147.jpg

02052010143.jpg

02052010144.jpg

02052010146.jpg

i dont know if ya can see it on there!!!!
might borrow a set of coilover spanners and raise it slightly!!! that may be partly the issue (not sure tho)

I didnt think there was any adjustment in the rear camber which is what has me slightly baffled!!!!

they are in decent enough shape actally!!!! Need a clean and that!! your welcome to take a look at them see what ya think!!!!

out and had a look again this morning!!!!
No idea where the banging is coming from!!!!
I think i need to get it on a lift for a proper look!!!
Any suggestions of anywhere close to Carlow that I can throw it into?
Cant drive it too far till i get it sorted!

:thumbsup:just looked at my phone.......missed your text :wall: .i'll be down to you soon if you get suspension sorted :ponder2:. looks well :thumbsup:

Back