Legacy Brake Upgrade

Barry_RA_RS

Hi new here..
I want to upgrade my front and rear brakes on my legacy - its a unmolested 92 sti RA RS - what have people done to get better stopping power?? is it a straight swap over with the 93 - 96 impreza turbo stoppers set up?? Its a jap import - are the japs a different set up to the european models??

any brakes from the impreza from 93- 2005 will bolt on the front

subaru 4 pots or brembos are the way to go but you might need a different set of wheels to fit the brembos

the subaru 4 pots will be up to the gob with uprated pads, braided line and good brake fluid.

hi guys sorry for getting away from the point any suggestions for upgrading brakes and disks a 99 b4?... :thumbsup:

with the 4 pots change over - is it just STI models or all turbo models??

i want to change both the rear and fronts - are there 4 pots on the rear of the imprezas also???

Are the discs a straight swap over if i was to go down this road??

Witht he 4 pots swap i assume the standard brake servor will be capable of coping with these??

thanks for the advice

The Sti has 2 pots on the rear and they need a bracket to be fitted. You could just change the whole rear assembly from a crashed yoke either.
4 pots that came standard on classic Sti straight fit, think also came on newer WRX's. Dont think classis WRX's have 4 pots standard.
Standard reservoir will cope, you can get a plate that helps but not needed, up to yourself.
Discs needed for conversion, bigger discs came with front 4 pots and rear 2 pots as opposed to your 2 pot front and single rear set up.

any classic Impreza that came with 2 pot rears has an R180 rear diff and fat shafts so swapping hubs isn't an option for you as your car probably has an R160 rear diff and skinny shafts. Only classic sti type-r and ra came with 2 pot rears the rest had the 1 pot floating calipers. All newage wrx have 2 pot (subaru) rears and the newage sti have 2 pot (brembo) rears

I'd go with a Brembo front and rear conversion, front bolt straight on without any modifications and rears need the godspeed adapter kit (brackets, spacers & oversized handbrake shoes)

I've done this conversion on my type-r (changed the hubs) and now on my 97 sti (adapter kit) the difference is really noticeable :thumbsup:

Hey,
i put 4 pot brakes from a type R on my 00 b4 and my 94 single turbo, straight bolt on callipers with the slightly bigger discs, :dance: good job compared to the 2 pots prob the cheapest option for an upgrade and usually a good few around for sale, def find plenty at the breakers :thumbsup:

Cheers Ian thanks :thumbsup: are all type R 4pots ok or is their any in particular i should avoid..is the difference in breaking noticeable? ...suppose anything is better than standard ones as shes a heavy horse to stop

As far as i know all the type r have subaru 4 pots and they are the same, could be corrected on that, :icon_rolleyes: my cousins 00 sti ra has 4 pots the same as my mates type r which are the same on my legacys, so they maybe the same 4 pots on different sti models and different years but wouldnt be sure on what years or models for definate :dontknow:. the ones i bought where off a 99 and a 00 type R's, you would def notice the stoppin difference compared to the old 2 pots but a good set of performance pads will help you get to a halt an extra bit quicker too. :thumbsup: the 4 pots will even fit inside the sti 16" wheels.

i also have a 92 legacy, had 4 pots with uprated pads and discs with standard rear calipers with uprated discs and pads also get braded brake lines,maks a big difference. i have recently put ap 6pot calipers and discs on the front still using the standard servo and mastercylinder no probs.

[quote author=leoquig link=topic=22752.msg272825#msg272825 date=1270924131]
i also have a 92 legacy, had 4 pots with uprated pads and discs with standard rear calipers with uprated discs and pads also get braded brake lines,maks a big difference. i have recently put ap 6pot calipers and discs on the front still using the standard servo and mastercylinder no probs.
[/quote]

Leoquig - waht discs did you upgrade too for bpoth front and rear??

Hi Lads,

Sti 4 pots non brembo are a direct bolt on..no problems at all..makes a huge differnece :thumbsup:

I got black and diamond drilled and grooved brake discs on mine when i got the calipers. They are also a direct bolt on from the sti to the legacy

Great upgrade :smokin:

Hey Barry,
Set of verision 6 sti brakes 4 pot for sale by diesel tom, 350euro with brembo discs to fit the subaru 4 pots included, good deal :thumbsup:

Will have my Subaru 4 pots and Stoptech grooved discs up for grabs in within the next week or so if any of you are interested :thumbsup:

[quote author=Ianbhp link=topic=22752.msg273015#msg273015 date=1270998467]
Hey Barry,
Set of verision 6 sti brakes 4 pot for sale by diesel tom, 350euro with brembo discs to fit the subaru 4 pots included, good deal :thumbsup:
[/quote]

cheers

Black 4 pots up front and hubs and 2 pot black calipers from a 01-05 wrx. Lovely and neat factory looking and huge improvment.

Back