Skyline is sick, What do you's think???

F

forester sti

As above,
After a gentle enough day on paddy's day, I say gentle enough because I could only do 3 laps at a time untill the brakes boiled!
I swapped out fluid for the april 5th day, just a half day, but plenty of driving,
she got smokey at the end of the day, so I pulled in,
I had checked the oil before the last 15minute session, and it was about half way,
I checked it after i got smokey, and it was lower, but still on the stick!
she took about 750mm to get full for the drive home!
I drove home gentley with loads of smoke, and it's near half way on the stick again (6 KM later)
I assumed the turbo was gone, with was freshly built by turbo tecknics (UK) 2 years ago and she had never seen the track befroe paddy's day! she is a hybrid with bigger comp housing and wheel, and 360deg thrust bearings,
I have a serious oil leak under the car somewhere as well (the under side of the car is covered in oil, but I can't find the source,
It is defo not from the turbo, or it's feed or drain! and nothing else obvious! All that as well as all the smoke from the exhaust, I'm feckin very confused!
The turbo will only boost to .6bar and she is a bit noisey, the intercooler is bone dry, no oil in her at all!
So, my question is, if a turbo fails, can it just leak oil on the turbine side and and not the comp side???
Or could it by engine internal leak, caking the turbine wheel and housing resricting the boost and causing the smoke??
The engine starts and runs pure smoothly, and makes loads of oil pressure (race spec Nismo N1 oil pump)

What do you's think??
Dan

Is there any way you can wash the bottom of the car?

What i mean is.... Steam wash all the oil off and let it dry! Start the engine and see if it starts leaking again to give an indication of where the oil is coming from!!!!
It could be a small crack in something! Could be a seal gone! could be just about anywhere!

If you had a cracked ring or damaged valve stem seal I wonder could the O2 sensor on the exhaust tell there's a problem, and retard the timing, hence reducing boost?

Although that doesnt explain the oil everywhere......hmm

I'm going to head over to my local jet wash with the car jack, and jack her up and go mad with the power washer!
I'll let you's know how I get on!
Dan

All turbos with oil feed/return lines will have an oil seal on the compressor side and the turbine side, and yes one can go and not the other. So its very possible that its gone. Have you a knocklink? or other knock detection equipment? Is there any mad vibrations in the car?

To lose that much oil that quickly i'd be guessing piston rings but because you've an oil leak i wouldn't bet on that. You need to sort that leak first or its gonna be a guessing game :thumbsup:

I power washed the bejesus out of her,
One thing that might be an issue, I used a relatively narrow gauge braided oil feed line that came with a GT2540 ballbearing turbo that I had at one stage!
Seemingly thrust bearing turbos require more oil than ballbearing ones, Maybe the restrictive nature of the narrower pipe caused an oil starvation issue!
To be confirmed!
I'll run the car for a few minutes tomorrow to see if that leak presents it's self!
She starts up, ticks over and revs pure smoothly, so I'm very hopeful that it's not pistons or anything like that!
Dan

Well,
After I power washed her, it was apearant that the oil was coming from where the turbine housing bolts to the turbo and also from the turbo to downpipe gasket!
I took the turbo off, easy enough concidering the last time I did that, it had been on the car for 14years!!
The turbine housing outlet was very oily and the turbine inlet was clean and dry! (so no engine damage causing the oil) but plenty of movement in the shaft!!!!!
Sent her back to the UK based company that made her,
Diagnosis is that small metal particulates in the oil found there way to the bearings of the turbo, and hence the turbo bearing gave way and the tubine and compressor wheels made contact with there housings, scoring them and damaging both wheels,
So the turbo is a total write off! Boll1x anywhy :icon_cry:
I thought it might have been the braided oil feed line, but the said it was the appropriate size!
So F**K
Anyone know of any cheap RB25 turbos anywhere??
Dan

Great stuff lads!
@ Scooby1, Thats a great source of spare parts, not easy come by lately, Thanx very much!
@ Dave, could you pass my number on to your mate, or PM me his, thanx man! :thumbsup:
Seemingly there are a couple of different types, so I'll have to do a bit of reseach to find the best suited,
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=22703.msg275509#msg275509 date=1271802626]
Great stuff lads!
@ Scooby1, Thats a great source of spare parts, not easy come by lately, Thanx very much!
@ Dave, could you pass my number on to your mate, or PM me his, thanx man! :thumbsup:
Seemingly there are a couple of different types, so I'll have to do a bit of reseach to find the best suited,
Dan
[/quote]

Gumtree link is for Couture Auto Dan.
And let me know if needed and i'll have it in garage for ye if right type.

jump onto driftireland.ie dan and stick up a wanted tread

and you should pick up a good one for a good price :thumbsup:

There are plenty of Standard units around for €200-€250
I found an identical hybrid turbo, just waiting to confirm price,
I will try that forum, thanx
And thanx very much for all your responces and help lads!
Fair play to you's :clap:
Dan

I have that hybrid bought for €200 :dance: :dance:
The lad is a star, He just wants me to take him out in her next time,
I can't afford new narrower front tyres (my wide back tyres wouldn't fit) so I think I'll try to "pull the arches" :dontknow: :lol: to fit the wide ones on, I'll see how I get on!
Thanx again lads,
I do appreciate all your help :thumbsup:
Dan

Back