track car turbo??????

scooby king

Sunday Drivers
Hi im currently building a gc8 impreza track car. im using a v5 sti type r engine fully rebuilt bottom end all wossner. the heads were rebuilt aswell back to standard! I want to reach a power output of around the 500 bhp but cant seem to find the right turbo setup at the right price. if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly apreciate them cheers!!

about 1000-1200 for the turbo but i also need the maniflold aswell and dont no wheather to use an external waste gate

And what track are you planning to use??
I say that because 500bhp on a 2.0L engine is going to be very late spooling! you are talking 5000rpm for full boost!
So defo would not suit mondello!
Biggest I would recommend (if you have a healthy budget) would be a GT30 based turbo aiming for early 400's and spooling in the late 3500 rpm
Or the cheaper option is a TD05/ TDO6 20g for around the 400 mark and approx 3800rpm spool
Concider your gear ratios aswell, If you on a type r box, you will won't a nice fast spooling turbo, otherwise by the time she spools, you'll have to change gears again!
Check out the for sale section on here, there are a couple of suitable units from very reputable members!
Let us know how you get on!
Dan

i dont think the v5 heads will run 500 hp anyway???maybe im wrong

also youll never get a new turbo to run that power for 1200 euro

you will have to run an external waste gate at that power and boost level

and dont go for gt spec exhaust manifold as they will be no use at that power as they will just brake

it will cost 1200 alone to get a manifold to take that power.

dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to put you off but once you go over the 400 mark your into serious money.

some on here will even tell you, its serious money over 350 brake.

what spec is your engine??? are you staying 2l??

yes i no ill have to buy a decent manifold as any cheap ones crack! i rang roger clarke motor sport this afternoon and they recomended the garret gt 30r turbo with there manifold altogether about 2600 sterling

Unless it's the manifold that is on the gobstopper, then it will pop!
I have the RCM tubular headers, I'm only running 450 bhp and she has split twice, they'll need a good bit of modding to cope!
GT30r is bigger again than top turbo I listed above!!
When does RCM recon the GT30r will spool on an EJ20

You'll also be wanting WRC headstuds, Over sized and uprated valves and springs,

None of the above would be necessery for 400bhp!

Fair play to you man! have fun and do let us know how you get on!
Dan

Back