2,5 STI v 97 STI heads

ISKIER TYPE R

Sunday Drivers
hi,

I going start some project, just bought 2,5 STI block EJ257, I want to forged all inside,
but my q is can I fit to this block heads from 97 STI RA ?,

I want to remap all with anti-lag system .

Yes its a direct fit.. altough the really exact way to do it is to bore match cylinder head to block, although most dont bother

You will have to use 2.5 mate, unless you want a rim of gasket hanging in all around your cylinder:) 2ltr bore is 92mm and 2.5 is 98 OR 99mm iirc
One time v5/6 heads were the ones, but now AVCS heads seem to be the sought after item, i beleive its a lot more complicated, and some witing involved to run AVCS on a non avcs car.. only certain ecu's can do it aswell

Good stuff!
I would get your heads machined to match the new bores, and get them skimmed while you are at it!
The cam profile in the V4 (Aug 97 to aug 98) were supposed to be the most performance oreantated cams of the classics,
As far as I know, the cams in my 2.5 reacted differently to and spec c cams on a 2.5, mine suited low/mid range torque, but at the expense of revviness!
Revviness would defo suit your close ratio gear box, so defo don't use 2.5 cams!
Maybe worth while sorcing some after market cams while you have her in bits!
Let us know how you get on!
Dan

can be interesting, my block is still in UK going to arrange rebore, one small score on bore 4, could you rebore the whole block for me?, I found some company in UK they quote me already.

I would try to get away with as little as possible of a rebore,
2.5 are known for there weak thin liners, and at 100mm, that is really going to the max, and choice reboring in future is gone out the window, as you may sleeve/ re liner the block
Its a problem with 2nd hand 2.5s, there isnt much thickness to bore to get rid of marks, bores are weak, and can be oval

I know but i need remove the score which happened from broken piston ring, owner told me he try hone but no joy, but he say rebore will fix that in 100%, of course if will be chance do that in 99,... i will be happy but the worst 100mm, I dont want to boost lots, about 380hp shpuld be ok for me.
what kind of turbo you can recomended for this set-up? I have to have anti lag on that.
i decide all internals to be a cosworth brand, and brand new crank nitrided.

Look into a brand new EJ257 casing for the craic!
If you are putting the best of everything into her, it's a shame to use an old block!

On an other (much cheaper) note, just buy yourself a ready assembled brand new EJ257 short block, she will be absolutely happy to run upto and around 400/400
I had an EJ255 (WRX 2.5) running 386bhp and 408lb/ft simply with a TDo5 20g and 740cc injectors and newage WRX top mount for 18 months with loads of trackdays, drag racing and Scooby Shoot out handling course,
After 18 months, just the standard head gaskets finally gave way!
I should have just upgraded to steel gaskets and just put her back together, but I went down the big build route! I hugely regret it! I should have just left it as it was!

So my whole hearted recommendation to you, is buy yourself a standard EJ257 (stronger than my EJ255 was) and fit your heads with steel headgaskets, ARP headstuds and bolt on a TD05 20g/TD06 20g or similar! KENC has one for sale at the moment going cheap! 740cc injectors, induction and a newage STI top mount!

You will never want more from your Type RA :thumbsup:

Dan

Back