engine temp issue

S

swampdonkey

ive done a search but cant seem to find same symptoms, car was siting up for few days went to drive it and after cple of mins the temp needle wasnt moving, stayed at the very bottom which i thought hmm thats odd, then it literally shot up to half way literally in like 1 second and then it started to rise higher quite quickly, so i whacked the hot air fans on, turned around at got home, im thinking thermostat? some people say head gasket is going if temp rises , but am i not right in saying that this is more of a result of an over heating engine??

could be a sticky thermostat that didnt open till the temps were up high

if the temps kept rising it could be cause the engine was very hot before the thernostat opened!!

thats what i was thinkin going to try take it out tomrrow and test it

I have a standard thermostat in the shed out of my forester, You are welcome to it, ( I swapped mine for a cooler Zero/Sports item)
Very easy to swap out,
Follow the bottom rad hose to the housing with 3 bolts, it's in there!
I hope that's all it is!
Is your expansion bottle filling up with coolant??
Dan

just changed it there seems to be ok, touch wood

hi guys just quick question not about the temp issue but about the high milage subarus 100000-120000 milage I heard that you have to rebuilt all boxer engine after 100000 is it true because I was thinking to buy bugyeye WRX with high milage its a good idea?

dam took car out for a long spin today and its not fixed, any ideas wat next u guys reckon its the water pump? the only other symptons i can give u is there is no hot air been blown into car by fans when i turn them on, it stays cold, also the pipe coming from the rad going back into engine is stone cold, whereas the pipe coming from engine into rad is steaming , very hot, .. cud the rad be the issue or water pump

any idea how to fix it? i squezzed the pipe on the bottom that was cold and it didnt seem like there was water in it, i was wonderin does this mean the pump wasnt getting water down to the bottom of the rad?

even if the water pump is knackered..the bottom rad hose should still have water in it.....
worst case scenario is the head gasket is leaking and the water is leaking into the cylinders and creating the airlock!!!!
:dontknow:

I had this prob as well with exact same symptoms ie engine very hot no hot air being blown into cab and i had to change the rad to sort it i had a major leak so it was visable but id say that could be whats wong

ive a sneaky suspicion ive a leaky rad, might change it now that car is runing again, where can i get one cheap

Back