Opinions Please?

MrMagoo

Middle Lane Hogs
Right lads, in the middle of a long awaited modding session, just wanted to hear your comments on the mods being undertaken!

I have a 94 wrx, Im Currently fitting a Polar Performance Chip, A front Mount, Apexi Induction Kit, 255 Walbro Fuel Pump and I have just fitted a decat downpipe.
The car itself is running perfect before the mods, all healthy, should I expect significant gains from this set up. Also gonna run dump valve less on the td05 for a bit, love the noise ( I know I know some people will bitch but please dont! Ive done quite a bit of research! and the td05 can take this mod)

The car will be put on the rollers after to check Air/Fuel and det...

Any comment of the educated type welcome!

Eoin

IMO I think you should get the car mapped for them mods from one of the traders.

A good bit of change done there to your car which could end in engine going bang on you. :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

I have never heard of Polar performance and just checked them out there but have you seen proof there chips work. :dontknow:

Nice mods done doe mate and if all goes well you will see a nice jump in power. :thumbsup:

Yup he seems to be a proven entity in the UK with lots of write ups regarding the quality of his work and the performance from the chip, seems to be fantastic value for the gains achieved.
I agree the car should have a stand alone ecu and in time it will! The chip itself is designed and mapped for the mods i have, so should be ok! Like i said ill have it on the rollers after! To make sure all is running ok!

Will do, only going on results the lads in the uk have been posting, some as good as 311bhp after all the above mods with chip.
Not looking for that much but something with a bit of oomph, safe and smooth will do!

Think a read about that chip, is that the one that Paul Blamire wrote the map for? think it was him anyway. only 50 or 100 quid or something?

Howdy!
If you are not getting her custom mapped to your specific mods!
I would defo get a boost controller to protect from overboost and boost spikes from the De-Cat
I would also fit a fuel pressure regulator and up the pressure to maybe 3.5bar so she runs a bit richer (safer)
Very best of luck man!!
Which TD05 turbo?? 18g would be perfect!
Dan

Dan, there was a chip in the UK that was specifically mapped for a certain list of upgrades, i know its not ideal, but it was aimed at the guys with a non mapable standard ecu, so you went out bought the mods that the chip was mapped, bolt them on and everything should be ok... fingers crossed that is :)
But apparently there good?

No its just like a mapped ecu afaik, the boost is set in the map on chip

I had a look at that, Thanx Ken :thumbsup:
Seems like a great mod for a slightly modded classic!
I think it's important to note that breathing mods are catered for, not a Front mount, and turbo and injector swaps are also not covered! (unless of course you get the chip designed for a higher spec Pre '96 classic,
ie. if you have a 93 WRX, then fit the injectors and turbo and intercooler from a 96 RA sti, then get the chip for that!!!
Would that work do you think??
Dan

Its a version of the Scooby ecu chip, the guy selling them and burning the map onto the chips is Steve, The thread is here:
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/private-fo...u-chip-upgrades-suits-classics-to-1996-a.html

Seems to be able to map for my mods, ie the front mount too. I agree maybe the fuel pressure reg may be a good idea!
I will have it checked on the rr after and fit a decent afm gauge. It works with the standard td04 and only standard injectors.
Seems to be a great value chip for the older imprezas who cant be mapped!

Ill be fitting it in the next few days and let you all know how I get on!
Fingers crossed i wont be on here looking for an engine!

Sorry that should say td04 and td05.
He asked me to email my spec and he will load an appropriate map!

The chip is a very cost friendly solution for the older cars that need an aftermarket ecu, of course there is no way that the chip mapper can take into account the condition of your engine etc etc, so i would say they are mapped to the safe side of things

Out of interest,
How much would a stand alone ECU and custom map cost for a pre'96 impreza??
Compared to say, swapping out the engine for a second hand one if the wosrt happened!!
Dan

Ive done a fair bit of research into chips of this variety....... (not this specific 1 tho)

From what i have read they are fairly safe.... About as safe as can be expected when its not a engine specific mapping, tho people have still suffered from Boost spikes etc
Personally if i was going this route I would suggest a Boost controler and a Fuel pressure regulator to MAKE SURE! they may not be really needed however the 2 of them together would be alot cheaper to buy and fit than an engine rebuild.

Very true Hammie, and it will prob be the route I go down, The mapper said it airs on the side of caution in relation to levels and parameters the engine runs at.
The cost of an apexi power fc and mapped is about 700 -1000 yo yos and I know that is cheaper than an engine etc but they do seem to be a proven entity, surprised not many people have heard of them over here??

Ill fit all the mods, and the chip, see how its performing!

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=22579.msg271513#msg271513 date=1270411736]
Out of interest,
How much would a stand alone ECU and custom map cost for a pre'96 impreza??
Compared to say, swapping out the engine for a second hand one if the wosrt happened!!
Dan
[/quote]
In fairness Dan your bringing what ifs into the equation now, and I or no one can answer them.

The exact same could happen if you get your car mapped by a mapper aswell.

for a new ecu and map, i would say at least 1000 euro

Back