crankshaft seal ???

cbarry

Sunday Drivers
and the trouble starts :icon_rolleyes: i miss nissan :hammerhead:

i looked in the technical faq and did s site search but couldnt find much info
right lads im car is dropping oil from what i think seems to be crankshaft seal(in front of the oil filter above the manifold)???
are these a common fault??is there much involved in changeing them???where is best place to get them??
bear in mind my nct is next sunday :icon_mad: and this is long weekend it will be tues/wen before i get a seal how much would it cost to get some one to do it for me???
thanks in advance

could be leaking from the oil pump gasket rather than the crank seal.

the front crank seal is a pain to do afaik :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=22564.msg271162#msg271162 date=1270230786]
strip of the timing belt to do crank seal so be sure it is leaking!!!!
:thumbsup:
[/quote]

and oil pump off too

its the oil pump seal,gave it power was earlyer and good clean thats where its comeing for!wouldnt be able to drive it to nct its pouring out oil and it was only after service last week good oil gone to waste :wall:
there looks to be heaps in the way of it not an easy fit :icon_cry:
any 1 qoute me price on getting it done???
part number for seal??
this is why i always stayed away from :subaru: know fook all about them :angry1:

ffs dont give out too much, could be worse, could be at the back of flywheel, thats a gearbox out job.
Nows a good time for you to put a timing belt on her, new tensioner, new water and oil pump, and you will be very familar with her again the end :)

@cbarry, its a pretty messy job pal got mine done, as said defo do the belt and tensioners and service, i can get ye sorted if you like. lad that looks after mine is a scooby mechanic, and i have to say knows his stuff and did it in a few day's. All in it cost 600 euro, all for a seal that costs 10. But your getting a lot of bang for you buck as im sure the lad's here will tell ye. Sure if you want let me know and i'll call him. But all the best getting sorted. :thumbsup: As for your nissan trust me theres no going back after scooby gets ya!!

[quote author=Alan The Wagon link=topic=22564.msg271228#msg271228 date=1270249659]
@cbarry, its a pretty messy job pal got mine done, as said defo do the belt and tensioners and service, i can get ye sorted if you like. lad that looks after mine is a scooby mechanic, and i have to say knows his stuff and did it in a few day's. All in it cost 600 euro, all for a seal that costs 10. But your getting a lot of bang for you buck as im sure the lad's here will tell ye. Sure if you want let me know and i'll call him. But all the best getting sorted. :thumbsup: As for your nissan trust me theres no going back after scooby gets ya!!

[/quote]
A few days sounds very extreme!!, maybe he doing it in evening time after work?? i would say 4 to 5hrs labour should cover it if all the parts are present, its not much more drastic than changing a timing belt really
Getting crank pully off will be the hardest part

@kenc ye after work might be extreme but go to carrol and roche and see what price you get so, and i did mention that includes a service and belts, done to a proper standard. Sure it's there if needed and isn't that what it's all about!!

cheers lads,il order the parts on tues!the belt was just done before i got it so all them parts should be ok and re useable yes???on the bright side my p1 lip and carbon roof spoiler will be here by the time its done :)

[quote author=Alan The Wagon link=topic=22564.msg271325#msg271325 date=1270314659]
@kenc ye after work might be extreme but go to carrol and roche and see what price you get so, and i did mention that includes a service and belts, done to a proper standard. Sure it's there if needed and isn't that what it's all about!!
[/quote]
Ah yea, know what you mean, after hours is understandable that it will be spread over a couple of evenings. just didnt want the original poster who is new to Subaru ownership to have a heart attack and think that it took 4 full days to change an oil seal :)
Good offer to pass on number of a Subaru mechanic work after hours

I know what you mean ken, i was the same when i saw the oil leaking panicked but got it sorted as you say it's a good job to pass on at least to somebody who does top work. Im sure if he got the parts all ready to go, he would defo do it in hours but as the lad was saying he has nct and stuff. Sure he will let us know hopefully. :thumbsup:

Why dont he just cancel Nct? that would take pressure off, that seal could empty the sump if it got bad enough, i wpouldnt be taking chances with it if its leaking as bad as he says

You could be right there ken, but as we said already it's good to be able to suggets and basicaly all we can do and the lad can make his decision. Sure i hope he keeps us posted and hopefully gets sorted. :thumbsup:

parts will be ordered first thing in the morning,would have been ordered all ready only for the long weekend!only reason i didnt want to cancel the nct is/was because il be going to the rally or the lakes in the Subaru and just wanted to send it in if it didnt pass first go see what it failed on and leave myself time to get in true the re test not in a mad panic!should have it up and going for the weekend all going to plan :dance:
cheers for the comments/info lads

Glad your sorted mate, and if you do get stuck give us a shout. All the best with it and trust me the scooby will be well worth it. :thumbsup:

Back