Quick question?(sorted)

skinny-controller

Sunday Drivers
Hi all its gonna be very hard to try explain this on a post but i will give it a shot.I have 00 type r v6,and when i start it up from cold i have a knock that disappears when hot,it doesnt sound like big ends,more like a loose belt type knock(hope i havent lost yeahs yet)theres no belts loose,and the knock is really faint,Im going to take the oil pan off tomorrow check the big ends,Before i do that would anyone have any ideas what it could be or ever come across it before thanks :thumbsup:

Re: Quick question?

I thought that 555 thanks its in it awhile now doesnt seem to be getting worse,I heard its common enough on the older imprezas,any sure fire way to diagnose it thanks :smile:

if its running ok, dont touch it, you'll only open a can of worms

Yeah its fine,i was just working on it today installing my manifold and i noticed it ,with the my garage being so quite.Im not well up on the boxer engine so i may be being paranoid,

as said leave alone unless you have money to spend..... classic models did suffer with this problem.

Just put it out of your mind Skinny!
My money is on piston slap, Mine is quite clattery for a few minutes after start up!
Dan

Yeah Defo piston slap. Have it on my Type-R too ;) nothing to worry about.

the noise seems to be resonating through the timing belt cover on the drivers,it almost sounds like if somethings caught on a wheel type noise sorry for being so vague,its not a knock as such thanks :boohoo:

Ah ok, i can see a video of your woman doing a bit of a lap dance, but no impreza video.... whos bottom end am i to be looking at????????????

The fact that noise is going out of it when hot, imo rules out belts and tensioners etc.
Imo that would point towards internals or pressure or viscosity related items.
You will not see anything by taking off sump, most you will see is the blades of crank.. you might see filling, but see the same from oil change.. forge pistons have been known to make noise, some worse than others so maybe that could be it, have you got an oil pressure gauge?? wndr could it be an oil pump on the way out??

Oh!!!! :icon_redface:
Give Ciaran (ASD Automotive) a shout, hopefully he can diagnose and recommend a course of action!
Best of luck man!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=22434.msg270126#msg270126 date=1269901717]
Oh!!!! :icon_redface:
Give Ciaran (ASD Automotive) a shout, hopefully he can diagnose and recommend a course of action!
Best of luck man!
Dan
[/quote]

or you can pick a trader of "your choice" from the many that are available on the site here........

Exellent point :thumbsup:
That is usually my reply,But my recent experiance of ASD's exceptional problem solving abilities made him the go to guy for this perticular issue!
Dan

Back