Knocking noise at the front right????

Cill

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and got my first Scooby in Dec last year.

It's an MY02 ( bug eye ) STI UK import and I think its had a hard life to date, could also be clocked :angry:

I'm getting a knocking noise coming from the front right and I and Subaru main dealers ( Castle Street, Bray, Wicklow ) can't work it out.

It sounds like a cliking but a lot deeper sounding and seems to only happen at crawling speeds, forward or reverse, straight or turning :ponder:

CV joints are fine, brakes are fine, suspension is fine, all checked by Subaru, the only other thing I can think of is the diff....

Anyone else out there have a similar issue or know what it could be??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Cill

Bushins maybe. Could be only starting to go, I'm sure the other lads will know better though.

Cheers for the reply, I might try replacing them and seeing if that works but I would have thought Subaru would see that...

Cheers guys,

I'll check those drop links and bushings and see if I can get to the bottom of it

If it was the boost solenoid the car would be running uneven, im in the process of relacing mine at the moment  :( and other typical signs are that the car will be down on power, not boosting properly, not holding boost, over boosting, sudden bursts of power after a big flat spot.Keep an eye on your boost guage if ya have one fitted and the needle will be very erratic in its operation. i.e. not increasing smoothly under acceleration! hope all goes well with it 

Hey Cill,
Is it a click ,click sound or a deep clunk, clunk
Very hard to say with something like that when we can't hear it :ponder: :ponder:

Niall.

Hi Niallyboy,

I would say more of a deep clunk than a click, only at very low speeds, like in and out of a parking spot or rolling to the lights,and a lot more when I am turning :angry:, it really feels and sounds like a CV joint but Subaru says they are perfect.

I really at a loss :dunno: :ponder: and if you are anyway like me, I'm sure you'll understand any iregular noises can drive you mad in you prized posession :subaru:

Any ideas?

Hmmmm
if you rolling up the lights and the tarmac is smooth( some chance in this country) , and it happens it would possibly rule out the drop links and the ground needs to be some what uneven for them to clunk, but i'm open to correction :ponder:

I had similar happen in the last car i had, could only here it rolling up to a traffic lights, turned out to be bearings in my front diff.
could only ever hear it at very low speeds. the clunk got slower as the car got slower so it was speed related
Jack up the front of the car and turns the wheels ( so they turn opposite to each other) and see if you can hear it !

just as suggestion !! :dunno:
mack

sounds like a good idea to test the diff, I'll give it a go

I'll just pray :pray: its not that, I'd hate to see the cost of replacing that :cry:

Mine clunks on a slow hard turn in. It comes from the back diff.
Its normal with the dccd it should be set all the way back when parking.

Same problem,going to replace shocks drop links and all bushins and see what happens,dont think its Diff.problems because when i brake and only at snails pace she seems to drop ever so slightly on one side,just hoping its one of the above

Back