Burining Oil? How much does your sti use??

scoobienoobie

Sunday Drivers
Well guys and girls.

I've recently enough changed from an 05 sti to a 03 jdm one. Both Had ~45000kms on them.
The 05 standard, the 03 has induction kit, full 3-inch turbo back de-cat and map.

The 05 burned about .5 or .75 of a litre of oil in 10,000km's
The 03 is burning about 0.5-0.6L in 1000km's!

In fairness i drive the 03 one harder more of the time than the 05.
I had the intercooler off at the weekend an noticed there was oil sitting in it, and the fins had a smearing of oil on them too.
I'd say there wasn't quite half a teaspoon of oil pooled between the butterfly into the intake and the rubber that joins the intercooler to the intake.

Anyone elses the same? Or is this on a slippery road to engine failure?

Cheers,
Rob

What oil are you using? They shouldn't really burn anything...

Just what was in it when i got it, so i don't know.

I've been topping it up with mobil 1 fully synthetic 15w 40.

Getting a timing belt an all the pulleys shortley so will use a good oil then and do the gearbox also, as its whinning more than the 05 on de-acceleration.

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=22265.msg268252#msg268252 date=1269258937]
time to get an oil catch can fitted!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Can you elaborate? Where does this sit to catch the oil?

The exhaust appears fine, as I had it off, and its just a bit sooty, not wet at all with oil, at the turbo, mid-section or end can.

if the engine has high crankcase pressure,you can find oil getting into the intercooler and turbo intake pipes which can lower the RON of the fuel mixture causing detenation!!!
basically a catch can will collect the fumes and oil particles and reduce what gets into the intercooler!!!
alot of reading explanation on scoobynet!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ok,

had a quick look on scoobynet.
Looks like about 45 quid will do the job, and then at least see if the problem of wet intercooler goes away, and see how much oil I'm collecting.

If the amount I've collected is the equivalent of what I've had to put in, then happy days, as its not "blow by" thats burning the oil.

Cheers.

I had the same problem until i fitted the oil catch can! ye can get them from one of the traders for 50/60euro

[quote author=scoobienoobie link=topic=22265.msg268286#msg268286 date=1269265728]
Sounds like the thing to do so.

Are/is Sti tuning a trader?
[/quote]

Yea it be worth doing ,yes STI tuning is a trader here ,give Dave a shout

15w/40 fully synthetic??? Dont think such a thing exists-hop its not just 15w40 your using-thats tractor oil.

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=22265.msg268306#msg268306 date=1269271438]
15w/40 fully synthetic??? Dont think such a thing exists-hop its not just 15w40 your using-thats tractor oil.
[/quote]

Of course it exists!
Used in lots of things, bikes, outboard engines, and now....Subaru's!
If i remember correctly (which i probably haven't) the manual says use 15w 40

you can also spend a few quid extra and buy a set up that will put the oil back into the engine, instead of keeping it in the can, Think perrin may do a cap that replaces your oil cap and has pipes going to it that will return the oil to sump

I thought the catch can they have on Japan Parts was the neatest one I've seen.

ImageFromDB.php

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=22265.msg268414#msg268414 date=1269300877]
I thought the catch can they have on Japan Parts was the neatest one I've seen.

ImageFromDB.php

[/quote]

That looks neat alright.

Is the fact that it may need an oil catch can not a problem in itself though??
I mean where is the oil leaking from, and is it not a sign of a fault somewhere else?

Starting to feel like a total novice again! :hammerhead:

Back