Noisy Centre section

gtpeadar

Petrolheads
Hi all,

exhaust has become increasingly noisy on the leggy over the last week and it sounded like it was coming from just under the drivers door.
Anyways, got underneath and got my dad to start it and give it a bit of a rev. The excess noise (and leaking exhaust gases) is coming from the box on the centre section, just after the join to the downpipes.

I've read about resonator boxes on the centre sections so i'm wondering is it a cat or the resonator box thats fooked. There's another box a bit further back so i'm not sure which is which.

Does that make any sense? :hammerhead:

Thanx
Peadar

Pretty sure that first box the cat mate and the second box is the resonator but if it making excess noise and leaking then its probably rusted through and/or cracked.. the cat in itself may be fine, but the exhaust has a hole in it somewhere... Its possible to fix I'd imagine but the labour costs involved would probably make a second hand section a better option.

Thanx dude,

Think i'll get a second hand one. Have the NCT coming up in may so need to sort it pretty soon. Is it a bolt off/bolt on job or is there wiring for any sort of sensor in the cat? Money is tight so if i dont have to pay a garage for labour it'll help. As long as the bolts will loosen

Thanx again :thumbsup:

Its a bolt on, bolt off job.. Only problem area is if the bolts are seized or rusted, then they'll be a nightmare to take off.. Patience should see you there in the end, otherwise you'll get so angry the car will go on its roof :lol:

Its certainly worth trying yourself first, and then ask a local trader or the likes of quickfit to do it for you.. Shouldnt be expensive or take the pros very long with power tools and a proper ramp on the go.. Buy yourself 2 new gaskets as well for when you put your new section on as the old ones will more than likely crumble when you take the section out :thumbsup:

Thanks for that sweetcakes.
Afraid I have another question though. I've been reading on
uklegacy.com about decatting the centre section and still
passing the mot with the downpipe cat still there
Hayward and Scott centre pipes aren't mad pricy and would
like to Decat the car eventually so would it be an option or
am I just heading for mapping issues then (which is a long
way off)
cheers.

I only changed my centre section to a decat section last week and so far so good. As Robbie said if the bolts are seized or rusted its a pain in the back side trust me!! But definately a job you can do yourself!! :thumbsup:

Just don't do what i did and forget to put something under your back on a concrete driveway! The scrapes are still healing!! :lol:

I'd definitely advise going for the decat centre section from H&S. As Mark says, you definitely won't need a remap if you only decat the center section :thumbsup: .. And ye, you will pass the NCT with the centre decatted assuming the downpipe is in good working order :thumbsup:

The only problem that you may encounter is that you might need the backbox to go with the centre section.. If you look under the car where the center section meets the backbox section, you will notice that the pipes narrow down where the 2 flanges meet. Mark obviously didnt have this problem when fitting as they may have changed in the rev D model but as far as i know yours is a 99/00 so will have the narrowing. Easy to check, just have a look under the car and you'll find out either way :thumbsup: ... If there's no narrowing, then you won't need the box..

Now for a bit of a sales speel :icon_grin: .. If yours does have the narrowing and you want a cheap H&S backbox to go with the centre section, then gimme a shout... I have a H&S 3.5" tailpipe version of the box so its just a nice rumble without being too loud but I'm fitting a mine's backbox in a week or 2 so will be looking to get rid of it. :thumbsup:

Well now its funny you should mention a H & S backbox. Have a looky here at the second part of my first post!

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=22083.0

The trouble is i'm thinkin that the back box for the saloon is a different length to the estate? Let me know coz if it fits i think it might be for me

Thanx for the advise lads. :thumbsup: Think its a new decat for me! :icon_grin:

You may be quite right, not sure what exactly the difference there does appear to be one. I checked japan parts and they appear to be different but the H&S site does not specify any difference. I'd imagine its the lenght of the tailpipe. You're welcome to take it and try it anyway if you like once you have your centre section bought :thumbsup:

That'd be great thanx. I can't pm at the mo so my number is 087 9281559 if you want to drop me a txt and i can give you a call about it :thumbsup:

Back