NCT Question

Gary S

Petrolheads
Hi lads,

I had a re-test NCT last Saturday and failed again :angry1: on emissions, before hand I had the exhaust fixed, used dipitane and gave her a good run before the test.

It failed the test on the Lambda reading (1.05 only .02 over limit) so this leads me to believe I need a new Lambda. Thing is I've been told there's 2 on the car 1 before and after the cat :dontknow: is this true? And if so which do I replace or do I replace both.

Also I've been searching through some threads and comments vary on whether to get a Subaru sensor or to get a spurious one?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as hope to get it done before these new rules come in. :subaru: :thumbsup:

someone told me before that there was one before and after the cat but the only ones i know is the one in the down-pipe before the cat and i think one in the headers :dontknow:

best thing would be to get it plugged in and check them out... make sure theres no leaks at the joins in the pipe aswell as this can mess with the readings.

And genuine sensor is the way to go i believe

Hope you get it sorted :thumbsup:

how soon after arriving at NCT centre was the car tested???
lot of cars fail on emmissions purely down to not being at the full operating temperature!!!!
i would personally believe that the car may well pass on the second attempt without replacing anything...
:dontknow: :dontknow:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=22155.msg267433#msg267433 date=1268953197]
how soon after arriving at NCT centre was the car tested???
lot of cars fail on emmissions purely down to not being at the full operating temperature!!!!
i would personally believe that the car may well pass on the second attempt without replacing anything...
:dontknow: :dontknow:
[/quote]

It was tested about 5/10 mins after arrival, it was definately at full tempture as it was running a good hour before the test. This was the second test so thats why I'm thinking of changing the Lambda but it was only .02 over the limit so don't know wether to chance my arm

A diagnostic check will show the Lambda voltage and weather its working correctly, I'd get that done to be sure that your problem is lambda :thumbsup:

And a genuine Lambda is far better, they seem to last a lot longer and you've got warranty on them too :thumbsup:

hate to be the bearer of bad news but i would say its your cat :icon_sad: i had the same problem on a b4 and i changed the lambda because it wasnt switching it was stuck on 3 volts but it was too late as the cat was smothered because the lambda was gone for a while and i had no way of telling so its hard to say. A new lambda is over two hundred quid and up until 2 weeks ago their was none in europe, japan direct from main dealer only (about 4 week waiting time). Also dont use a bosch one from a motor factors as it throws on the engine management light immediatly.. best of luck mate hope ye get sorted

Back