Stupid Question

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
how far are u suppose to fill the expansion tank, i was thinkin bout 3/4 of the way or is it more or less than that to allow the water to expand under heat

Thanks
John

is this the header tank on engine...

or the plastic on to right hand side of radiatorin front battery?

Think he may be looking at the header tank......as above the expansion bottle is in front of the battery or behind the passenger side headlamp.

The expansion tank is the plastic one behind the rad, I never fill that! I only ever fill the metal or the header tank one near the turbo, in fact it should not need to be filled regularly, if yours does you more than likely have a gasket problem. The expansion tank is exactly that, when the water heats up it expands, this is where it goes when it expands.

Alan

i put a new rad on today.. its the tank nearest the turbo the metal one... couldn see any markings for the level, i have it filled nearly 3/4 of the way... dont want to blow anythin by havin it too full

Fill it up, just make sure that you get all the air out. Let the car idle and fill it while the air bubbles out till it is full.

the car heats up fine, fan kicks in as normal at 91 degree c, made sure the hose comin from the thermostat was gettin warm and it is so hopefully all good,

@ scruff:: do i have to fill to the brim??
thanks
john

I know its not winter but mine gets coolant all the time, I never top it up with water. I dont think tap water will do any harm though, just my preference.

[quote author=sc00by555 link=topic=2548.msg23474#msg23474 date=1181168624]
...ALWAYS use coolant! :eek:mg:
[/quote]

is there a reason for this, is it better for the car

Coolant stops freezing in below zero temperatures but also cools in the summer/hotter temperatures. I wouldn't have less than a 50/50 mix... but I am a cautious type by nature...

Drain it tomorrow mate.........you need to have coolant in it, all modern coolants also have anti freeze in them ie. coolant for the summer and anti freeze for the winter....tap water boils and has no inhibitors in it....

i must do that so thanks for the info, i have half litre of coolant that u mix wit water would that do or would i be better of buyin the ready made stuff

thanks
John

Back