compression test

jackswagon

Middle Lane Hogs
lads im looking to find out some info on getting a compression test done and a leak test done on the impreza.
is it a big job to do ?
is it expensive?
how long would it take to do?
and a name of somebody qualified to do it in and around the dublin area if possible

many thanks

james

several trader's around the dublin area should be able to do this for you,

i hope everything is ok though :thumbsup:

cheers gretts :thumbsup:,
its been done more or less to confirm an issue im having with something else on the car more than anything else .

hi terry
i was quoted 2 to 2 1/2 hours timewise, and test for me anyway is to give me an idea as to what compression ratio my car is running at , my car is not giving out the expected power it should be with the amount of modifications it has had over the past couple of months and what was expected from them so it needs to be done to confirm/rule out what the cause of it is,
hope that helps :thumbsup:
james

how did ye get on with the compression test?
did it throw up what you expected?
hope the problem is easily sorted....

problem sorted :dance:
brand new samco turbo inlet hose folded in on itself right at turbo joint to an inch or so restricting the flow of air into the turbo an awful lot.
compression in all 4 cylinders was at 150psi which is very good im told.
remap in april should see my figure rises up to normal now please god. :thumbsup:

@ marko . yeah man very surprising indeed, last place to check where the problem was and turned out to be the easiest in the end

@ steve, was onto harvey a lot the past while and he and a lot of people really rate this rate this turbo that he has made and modified,
he put a conservative figure when selling it at 380bhp but has said with the right mods its very very possible to see 400bhp,
now im not looking or hoping for anything like them figures but am hoping at best to see 360bhp at a minimum with the mods i have and running 1.6 bar boost please god.

I did a compression test on mine today. Got 160psi out of 3 and 158psi out of another. Managed to do the test but aint got a clue what it means haha. Also found 2 coil packs cracked so getting them replaced but hasn't made an impact on the car yet

[quote author=TerryNavan link=topic=22122.msg269380#msg269380 date=1269616630]
I did a compression test on mine today. Got 160psi out of 3 and 158psi out of another. Managed to do the test but aint got a clue what it means haha. Also found 2 coil packs cracked so getting them replaced but hasn't made an impact on the car yet
[/quote]

What car is this on?

I need to do a comp and leak down test on mine (03 jdm sti) as its burning a lot of oil, I want to rule out or in excessive blow by as the cause.
If its not blow-by, or a leak, which i can't find, then it must be my turbo, which means turbo out and get it re-built.

[quote author=scoobienoobie link=topic=22122.msg271790#msg271790 date=1270558388]
[quote author=TerryNavan link=topic=22122.msg269380#msg269380 date=1269616630]
[/quote]
Its a V1 WRX mate
What car is this on?

I need to do a comp and leak down test on mine (03 jdm sti) as its burning a lot of oil, I want to rule out or in excessive blow by as the cause.
If its not blow-by, or a leak, which i can't find, then it must be my turbo, which means turbo out and get it re-built.
[/quote]

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=22122.msg271799#msg271799 date=1270565228]
How much did the compression test cost?
[/quote]I Just bought the compression tester from halfords for €39 and did it myself

[quote author=jackswagon link=topic=22122.msg272232#msg272232 date=1270723223]
cost me €50 euro for my test to be done :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Do tell where??

done by an old acquaintance of mine :icon_grin:
was quoted 2 to 2 and half hours time wise with a leak down test elsewhere
compression test was done in less than 20 minutes and i had other work done also for that price :thumbsup:

Back