sti type r not starting

scoobie23

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads my 98 type R not starting :icon_cry:I took out turbo & manifold put in new manifold gaskets and put it all back together and runnin like a dog back fires and wont start at all. I checked leads all sparkin power goin to all injectors. its surprising as i have the car 3 years and never ever missed a beat til i finished the job.Was wondering did anyone have a similar problem or have a remidy checked fuses and seals round the injectors seemed ok and shes gettin fuel!!! :doh:

Its doin this since you had the turbo and manifold off? ...is everything sealed up like that manifold and all pipes to turbo? intercooler pipes sealed? lambda sensor conected?

Might be wrong, but indeed as above - I would check first all intake, if all sealed ok.
Maybe it has some air leak somewhere, taking some additional air after MAF?

98% all is connected it only started this since job was finished...i got cat off a 00 classic and i have sensor connected on it beside turbo but i av a sensor from my old cat and i dont have tat hole on this cat but doubt tat would stop car starting would it :wall: .....i av all air filter connected as i put on new pipe to turbo tat goes under manifold.
were elses could she be takin in air ..I got a new part 4 under manifold its green has to connections on it and i think i have tem connected to right place one on top of manifold and other just beside throttle body if anyone knows the part :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

i wouldnt say its got to do with an air leak, as it would still start air leak or not.

i'd say you have reconnected something wrong somewere.

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=22033.msg266188#msg266188 date=1268507200]
i wouldnt say its got to do with an air leak, as it would still start air leak or not.

i'd say you have reconnected something wrong somewere.
[/quote]

As Johnny said, she should still start everytime and run bad.

Is she getting the essentials?
Air?
Fuel?
Spark?

Are the spark plug leads on the correct cylinders?

I dont no all fuel is correct and all turbo connects are sound and all boost connections ...one my spark plugs leads which is silicone is broke and a mechanic i no joined it wit a standard lead wolud tat affect it but i thought she should run on 3 leads ??? :subaru:

Air .yes
fuel.yes
spark.yes
And leads are correct ...its a bloody strange one and wen she did run once it sounded as if there was oil but turned her off and of plenty oil :roll:

[quote author=scoobie23 link=topic=22033.msg266201#msg266201 date=1268510681]
I dont no all fuel is correct and all turbo connects are sound ansd all boost connections ...one my spark plugs leads which is silicone is broke and a mechanic i no joined it wit a standard lead wolud tat affect it but i thought she should run on 3 leads ??? :subaru:
[/quote]

Most time she will run on 3, but depending on which cylinder it is it can cause it not to start especially if the spark plugs are old :thumbsup:

Imo, with back fires, that sounds like a timing issue of some sort, either the plug leads are on wrong at plugs, or at the coil pack, or if you had injectors plugged out, they are plugged back in wrong way around..
I know you have stated the jobs you were doing, but if you list the things you removed, and put back in getting the job done it might help some more
It wont start with a cam or crank sensor gone, but dont think that would cause back fire, and you havent been near them either i thinks?

coli pack is sparkin on all four i checked....I took off manifold and all pipes connected fuel,air,turbo pipes boost etc....one silicone lead is joined to a standard lead so i will try new one 2moro... :sucks:

it will spark on all 4 even if your stupid enough to hold them in your hand :).. are they on the right way is the thing, did you have plug leads off? if you have them mixed up, it will mean atleast two cylinders are out of timing, causing back fire and not starting

[quote author=KENC link=topic=22033.msg266385#msg266385 date=1268603152]
it will spark on all 4 even if your stupid enough to hold them in your hand :).. are they on the right way is the thing, did you have plug leads off? if you have them mixed up, it will mean atleast two cylinders are out of timing, causing back fire and not starting
[/quote]

On top of what ken said, they may well light up a spark indicator and also give you a dart if held but that doesn't mean they have enough power to mark the spark jump the gap! The only way to test that is with a peak voltage tester. Or the easiest way is to get a new spark plug and put it in a cap, earth the threads off the block and see if the spark is there, repeat on all plug caps. But there can still be a coil fault causing them to brake down under load, although if that was the fault she would still start.

Apparently a there is an accurate way to test spark without a peak meter, you put the plug onto lead, and place the plug against your Tongue, Note tongue must be extra moist, then you get a friend you can trust and knows cpr, to crank the engine, if you die the spark is ok, if you survive, you have 3 more leads to test :)

thats the old way ken, the new way is to stick the plug up your ass, and get elton john to try start the car :multijump:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=22033.msg266414#msg266414 date=1268607817]
Apparently a there is an accurate way to test spark without a peak meter, you put the plug onto lead, and place the plug against your Tongue, Note tongue must be extra moist, then you get a friend you can trust and knows cpr, to crank the engine, if you die the spark is ok, if you survive, you have 3 more leads to test :)
[/quote]

:lolpoint: :lolpoint: Brilliant LMAO

Thats as good as the advice about how do you know if you've got a good strong engine or a lemon on the way out!

Start the engine from cold and bounce it off the limiter, if it blows up after 1 min its a lemon, if it blows up after 5 mins you had a good engine to begin with :lol:

You could also stick the wee fela into the lead, that would be interesting, Elton could do all the manual on the fitting

It really sounds to me that leads are on the wrong way.
:icon_redface: Shamefully i made this mistake one time and had same symptons
:shhh: dont tell anyone :icon_redface:

Back