LIMITS OF 6 SPEED BOX

Animal spec-c

Petrolheads
As above what kind of power can you run safely on these boxes?Are there any cheap upgrade options or 2nd hand ppg 6spd boxes for sale?

I heard the standard box will take 600hp. I hope its true because that will be my upgrade for my type r.

if for drag racing,and you dont minda bit of hardcore noise, 5spd ppg with long gearing is the way to go, type r boxes and 6spds have short enough ratios, think Dans model Forester is ment to have the longest gearing 6spd, but still short compared to uK 5SPD, best 1/4 mile set up is long gears..

[quote author=KENC link=topic=22026.msg266218#msg266218 date=1268512855]
if for drag racing,and you dont minda bit of hardcore noise, 5spd ppg with long gearing is the way to go, type r boxes and 6spds have short enough ratios, think Dans model Forester is ment to have the longest gearing 6spd, but still short compared to uK 5SPD, best 1/4 mile set up is long gears..
[/quote]

I would have thought shorter gears would have been better for quicker acceleration! and longer gears for higher top end?

Heard from a few people that standard 6speed box was very reliable up to around 500 - 550
and anything over that was risky

With a torquey turbo,you want to leave it as long as possible pulling in the one gear, and in extreme examples, if i can do quarter in 3 gear changes, and you need 4 changes, how much time do you lose per change?
Lowerig the gear ratio is the way to make an N/a car quicker as they need to be up in revs to be quick, but turbos dont, like Dans for example, over 500 ftlbs available at 2500 to 3000k revs, sure why would you want to ever change gear :)

Yea its hard to know what to do with 1st on a type r. You think its quick hitn the limiter, stick 430bhp in and see how quick that happens:)
If you get everything from the 6spd donor, its handy enough, i done it all myself, apart from lifting the box, the 6spd is around double the weight of 5spd. Seriously heavy, thats its only down fall, you would get a 2nd hand 5spd ppg for same money. 6spds are fairly similar to typer ratios

I would say you should sell your 6 speed box to someone for there fast road/track car! there is a market for it!
Then as Ken says there, 5 Speed PPG specifically setup for drag launchs and gear ratios to target your quarter mile finish speed!
Fair play AL,
Some great threads that you are starting lately!
Dan

You can specify your gears in ppg, so could have straight cut 1st 2nd 3rd,4th, and normal 5th for your cruising, some have only 1st 2nd and 3rd etc etc, big thing aswellis to get the selector fork upgraded, that is the weak point if not replaced aswell, some boxes for sale 2nd hand dont have the billket steel selector fork in them

Back