Small exhaust problem

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Had a few spare hours this morning so thought i'd finally get to fit the centre section i got off B4-RSK to the car. The bolts at the cats came away no problem but the bolts at the back box started to crumble with only a slight bit of leverage on them. That whole end seems to be on its last legs. Any idea how i will get those 2 bolts to come free??

Cheers
Mark :thumbsup:

Happened with my last car and I had to get a lad with a blow torch to heat them up? :dontknow:

Heat is your friend when it comes to something like that, but dont heat them too much or youll never get them out!!!!!!

I was hoping not to have to resort to using a torch on it! It was hard enough to get a rachet at it!!

I was just thinking there that the holes aren't threaded so if i just break away the rest of the head of the bolt then it should just slide through or is that just wishful thinking? :dontknow:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=22004.msg265942#msg265942 date=1268395533]
I was hoping not to have to resort to using a torch on it! It was hard enough to get a rachet at it!!

I was just thinking there that the holes aren't threaded so if i just break away the rest of the head of the bolt then it should just slide through or is that just wishful thinking? :dontknow:
[/quote]

Yep, or drill it carefully maybe if it still won't come out

if you can hacksaw the head off the bolt the rest should be easy to remove mark!!!!
defo need to replace the bolts so it would be ok to take the current ones off be any means...
dont recommend using heat while the car is jacked up on stands....
maybe so on a ramp or lift!!

Talk about an absolute bitch of a job!! There's not much left on my knuckles at this stage!! :angry1: :lol:

I've ended up taking the exhaust off from the cat back and i'm going to go at it with a saw tomorrow if i can't get a nut splitter onto them!! Hopefully that will sort it! :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=22004.msg266020#msg266020 date=1268421202]
Talk about an absolute bitch of a job!! There's not much left on my knuckles at this stage!! :angry1: :lol:
[/quote]

Know that pain all too well!!hopefully you'll have it sorted tomorrow, looking forward to hearing how she sounds with the de-cat centre on :thumbsup:

Just ring the heads off them mark... grab 2 new bolts in homebase. they shouldnt be threaded ... i might have two bolts there if you give me the size and ill pop in and give a hand. :thumbsup:

Let me know anyway :thumbsup:

Hard to tell yet Mark. It was dark by the time I finished fitting it. Time to go out now so I'll give it a proper drive tomorrow and see then. :thumbsup:

Back