Fifth Gear problem.

E

ericsti

I found a TypeR V- Limited yesterday and it a perfect car except for when your putting her into fifth gear sometimes she crunches even though the clutch is all the way in. I check the clutch by the third gear test and it's fine, Any one know what it could be and how much it would cost to get right, don't want to lose the car if it's an easy fix. Any info please. :thumbsup: :subaru:

Eric hard to know,

Could be as simple as along over due gearbox oil change, as i had a small

problem with 5th sliping out of gear. Oil change to a good quality oil and problem solved.

Worst case could be syncro gone on 5th gear which is a box out refurb or box change job.

If you have any doubts walk away. Very nice grey Type-R in autotrader last week with Rays alloys.

Eamonn

Sounds like syncro to me. I have the same problem for the last year. It hasnt got any better or worse so I havent done anything about it.

Could be the nut on the end of the shaft is loose , a common problem . If you're lucky & get it in time there's no damage but if left too long you will need a new set of 5th gears & syncros . To repair it means removing the transfer box & tightening up the nut using high strength loctite .

As above Eric !!
Get the lad selling the car to fix it !!!
He's prob just as eger to sell as you are to buy

Niall.

sorry niall,

eric ,do NOT get the lad to fix it he'll fix it alrigth,the cheapest way.if he wont take off a few hundred euro for the problem ,fu*k him,there every were for sale and dont hold there value,when i got mine two months ago there was only one or two for sale,look at carzone now,theres ten for sale

Prob synchro. I got my box reconditioned and every synchro changed inc 5th and reverse (which is one unit) for 720euro. although I just gave them the box. took the box out and back in with a mate of mine while we had the engine out... prob add another few hundred to do that.

probably the synchro i had a bad crunch in third, then one day it just went away.
that was about 6months ago, its still perfect, got a price to get it fixed and they said between 600 and 700.

Sorry Eric,
Johnny5 is dead right :wall: :wall:

Better of to do it yourself and knock a few quid off the price

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

Niall.

Unless of course the price is very good as is ;) Eric id just get him knock 500 euro off the price and get it sorted yourself.

Back