What fuel for JDM Forester S/Tb ?

Pique

Hi all,

I'm new to Subarus but I've heard that they need to be run on high octane fuel.
Bearing in mind that I can only get Unleaded 95 locally, what is the consensus on that?

A fuel replenishment technician told me about an additive called 'Millers'.
Does anyone recommend the use of the stuff or is it overkill ? Is Redex a waste of money or would it do the job?
Do I even need to use anything ?

I'm running 265bhp and do lots of short journeys, btw.

Thanks

Pat.

Hi Pat,

If you can get to a Maxol garage, you can use E5 which is about 97/98 ron. I've never heard of Millers, but the traders and members here all swear by NF or Lucas octane booster.

Steve.

probaby best off taking the plunge , and getting her mapped for what you can get locally ....
probably cost between 800-1000 notes , but its piece of mind your buying ,which is priceless

Howdy,
The JDM foresters s/tb is 240bhp out of the box!
So she's not to highly stressed, and I drove the heart out of one for years without issue, untill one day the engine went pop!
I would use 100ml of NF octane booster per tank of petrol, If you can get Maxol E5 all the better!
Happy motoring man!
Great to have more foresters on board! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dan

First off, don't waste your money on millers, use NF or Lucas...

If you can only get 95 locally, then the you only have the choice to add a lot of the booster mentioned (lucas and NF) or get the car mapped to suit the 95 petrol.

There are a few mappers on the site, Jolly green monster, Couture Auto, Sti Tuning, East Coast Customs. Contact them all to see who'll give you the best deal on an ecutek remap. Contact details are on the forum main page in the traders section :thumbsup:

Cheers for the quick replies guys.

I just brought it in from England last w'end and it's had a VF35 fitted and an Ecutek (Bob Rawle) remap to match.
I'll contact the guy I bought it from to see if it was mapped to 95 or 97 ron.

If it is already ECUTEK'd, then even better. You already have the license, so won't be much to remap it to suit 95 fuel. Contact Dave in STi Tuning, he brings over Bob Rawle every month or so :thumbsup:

Indeed we have a few traders on board who can tweek her for you, get in touch with them and see how much!
As HIWD said, it will be cheaper because you already have the licence!
Best of luck man!
Dan

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=21792.msg264013#msg264013 date=1267719398]
A fuel replenishment technician...
first time i've ever heard of this!!!

[/quote]
i am to presume , he is referring to that most noble of professions, the petrol pump attendant

Did you find out what fuel she was mapped for?
If you have an Ecutek map already, that means you have the licence so it wont be expensive to get her tweeked.. however it has bee known for guys to tell porkies when selling, but hopefully it has been mapped.
If you can get E5 you wouldnt need booster, but again i would try find out what it was mapped for.
Millers is a complete waste of money, it wont even mix one full tank, where as lucas, half bottle will do a tank, so cost you around 7 euro per compared to double that with Millers.
Happy motoring

[quote author=silverbullitt link=topic=21792.msg264032#msg264032 date=1267722136]
i am to presume , he is referring to that most noble of professions, the petrol pump attendant
[/quote]
:icon_lol:Spot on my good man :)

I've just asked the seller what it was mapped to so I'll let you know when I do.

Pretty satisfied that he's not telling porkies, he's a Mod on subaruforester.org :)

I'll take a look for Lucas octane booster...do Halfrauds sell it ?

I actually havent ever seen it in any shops, say some of the traders her will sell it, lots of guys here buy it by the box, works out cheaper, something like 2 or 3 bottles for free.
Sounds like you should be ok then with previous owner, E5 is a great alternative if you have it locally.

Redex complete waste of money aswell.

As above as car has been mapped it has licence and only needs tweak.

Have seen lucas once in shop but it was about 10yoyo dearer than traders here.Better off buying per case(12 bottles)

Likely to have been mapped for 97ron

:smokin:

Alright...I'm gonna sound like a complete noob now but what's the 'Licence' ?

I don't have any receipt from the remap, but will Bob Rawle have the VIN recorded or something or will he spot his own map when it's hooked up ?

When you want to Ecutek map your ecu, you basically have to buy the right to the software, this is only for the first time the ecu is mapped, after that the licence stays with the ecu, so instead of paying mapping plus licence which is 500 or something, you only have to pay for map, which maybe only 300 or something.. big saving, nice bonus to have. I have often seen ecu for sale with ECUTEK LICENCE, any mapper will know once they access the Map, Jolly green giant Simon is usually fairly swift on an answer, check out his trader section

Seen as do its just a tweek and you have licence, You could just get her mapped for 95octane, i got this done before and was very happy with it

You beat me to it Ken! :thumbsup: I'll post anyway,
I'm not entirely sure how it works!
But my car was first mapped by Powerstation, then Bob Rawle, then most recently by Andy Forrest,
Once it initial licence fee is paid, then it never needs to be paid again, so the first map is quite expencive, all the subsiquent maps, you are just paying the mapper, (and sometimes a middle man)
Regardless of who maps her from now on, you will only be paying the mapper,
Dan

Back