Noisy rear Disc/Pad

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
I changed my rear pads about 2 weeks ago, but over the last few days there has been a lot of whistling/squeeling noise coming from the rear passenger side. It only seems to happen when the disc is warm. It goes away if you use the brakes but will come back again a little time later. It also goes away if you go over about 60km/h. Have been told that it is probably just the lip waring away on the disc, but then have also been told that the disc could be warped!

Anyone got any ideas? Its a very annoying noise and want to get rid of it ASAP! :thumbsup:

Hey Mark,

Check the pads are in correctly and you may have a ceased rear caliper, are you back discs warn badly? :ponder:

check to see if the one thats squeaking is getting hotter than the other if it is its a tell tale sign of seized caliper. also if the disc is glowing red when you look at it that could be a sign!

[quote author=Kielyb4 link=topic=21733.msg263308#msg263308 date=1267549672]
Hey Mark,

Check the pads are in correctly and you may have a ceased rear caliper, are you back discs warn badly? :ponder:
[/quote]

The pads are definately in correct, i was thinking that the caliper might be seized but it pushed back no problem when changing them???

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21733.msg263310#msg263310 date=1267549905]
check to see if the one thats squeaking is getting hotter than the other if it is its a tell tale sign of seized caliper. also if the disc is glowing red when you look at it that could be a sign!
[/quote]

I remembered what was happening you Dan, and checked for that this morning but they both seemed about the same and didn't look to be glowing.

maybe they didnt bed in properly. maybe take the pad out again and give it a bit of a sanding, same with disc, rub it lightly to clear any glazing off it that might have went on.

my mintex pads were noisey for a few days when they were fitted, were grand after that

do the old trick,unless you cant wait for them to bed in,pull the handbrake up from stopped just enough so the rear wheels can still move and move 50 to 75 feet that will track the surface of the discs and pads,should stop your squeking,unless you forgot to put anti,seize paste on the back of the pads then they will have to come back out :thumbsup:

[quote author=skinny-controller link=topic=21733.msg263322#msg263322 date=1267551825]
do the old trick,unless you cant wait for them to bed in,pull the handbrake up from stopped just enough so the rear wheels can still move and move 50 to 75 feet that will track the surface of the discs and pads,should stop your squeking,unless you forgot to put anti,seize paste on the back of the pads then they will have to come back out :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Theres a small coating of coper grease on the back of each pad, maybe there isn't enough of it! I'll give the hand brake trick a go and see if it does anything. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=21733.msg263307#msg263307 date=1267549451]
I changed my rear pads about 2 weeks ago, but over the last few days there has been a lot of whistling/squeeling noise coming from the rear passenger side. It only seems to happen when the disc is warm. It goes away if you use the brakes but will come back again a little time later. It also goes away if you go over about 60km/h. Have been told that it is probably just the lip waring away on the disc, but then have also been told that the disc could be warped!

Anyone got any ideas? Its a very annoying noise and want to get rid of it ASAP! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Snap! I have been having the same problem for the last 2-3 weeks, except mine is on the front. One of the seals looked a bit fooked and I think it's causing one of the pistons to stick.
Ordered 2 seal kits and new discs from Camskill this morning.
If you can, keep pushing the piston in and out to see if it frees up a bit, and use plenty of copper grease between the piston and back of the pad.
Also, not sure if skinny-controller's trick will work as the Leggy uses handbrake shoes.

Hope you get sorted! :thumbsup:

Back