My car PC

A

akki

Hi,

I put in a car pc into my scooby. The housing is a 5.25" external CDROM case with a miniature mainboard.
It has a 1.5 GHz Intel Celeron CPU, 512MB RAM, a 60 GB laptob hard drive shock protected and a DVD rom.
The display is a motorised 7" touch screen from CarTFT.com.

Software:
Windows XP Media Center Edition.
Incarterminal as main user interface.
Navigon GPS navigation software with all maps from Europe.
SubaruFAST software (there are all parts with part numbers and technical manuals stored of my Scooby) This is basically the same software a Subaru dealer uses to find part numbers to order from Subaru.
A GPS speedo for exact speed display :D

I have 20GBs of MP3 files and some DIVX movies on the computer for weeks of entertainment.

If anyone is interested to have something like this build in, let me know. I am sure I can assist  :computer:

Greetings

Axel

[quote author=Woogy link=topic=2510.msg23061#msg23061 date=1180882993]
Savage! Dont mind me asking the price?
[/quote]

Well... the hardware is about €1800.-, + €750.- for the GPS software and not to mention 16 hours work putting the computer together, installing the software and fitting everyting into the car.

The trickiest part was the trackball in the middle console and the mini-keyboard :D (Not in the picture yet). The touchscreen is useless if you need to hit the small buttons in Windows or if you want to put in an address into the GPS software.

I also needed to run new wires from the batterie to the PC because the original wires for the radio where not strong enough to supply enough power for the screen, the subwoofer, the amplifier and the PC. One big backdraft was, when I realized that if you start the engine the power to the radio was cut off. It crashed the PC several times and jammed the motor of the touch screen.

Now I am planning to put the PC into the glove box. I thought first I could put it under the seat, but then it is hard to reach the DVD drive.

Axel

Back