Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel

H

hiwd

Hey lads,

Thinking of buying a 1998 Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel off one of the lads in work as a run around, he got a new car and its been lying up 2 weeks now. He said I can have it for the weekend to see what it's like, if I manage to start it LOL.

It is turning over but won't start. I've checked the battery with a multimeter and its 12. something volts so its not that, tried to push start as well for the crack an it didn't work.

Any idea's lads? Hopefully something simple. I don't have a clue about Diesel's.

Steve.

The light is coming on and then off Alan, so I think so. How can I check? Take them out?

Take them out and have a look. Maybe ask the fella your buying it off when were they last done. They would want to be badly fucked if she wont start after a while and with a push. They need to warm up.

Are yeh getting fuel to the engine. That might be a prolem.

what milage is on it lad, i had one and the very day it turner 100,000m it was hard to start , but problem was sorted no prob, they had to put shims into the tappets cause they got tight, might be worth to ask a opel lad :thumbsup:

Check the the cars getting fuel if its turning over its not the battery,remove the rubber off one of the fuel lines and crank it over make sure the fuels coming through,and check your glow plugs are getting to temp,will it crank over or does it sound like the starter motor is sticking.

is that the newer shape astra. just a word of warning if it is the head gasket goes on them. I know countless amount of them that went. I bought a brand new one (petrol) in 99 properly serviced at main dealer very well minded sold it to my parents and about two weeks later head gasket goes. nearly every one I knew that had one same thing happened

Cheers for the advise lads, got sorted thanks to Alan (555-Scooby). Karma on the way :thumbsup:

Back