shocks......coilovers

foresterdave

Octane Boostaholics
can anyone reccommend shocks or coilovers for sf5 forester 97. need to lower it but dont want it too hardened.scruff if your out there,saw yours,what did you fit ??????? need to fill the huge gap between my wheels+archs,cheers.

From what i remember Standard Impreza STI shocks and springs fit!!!!

That would bring the height down a fair bit withoiut stiffening too much......

Maybe someone that knows better could confirm or deny if thats true or not

I am interested in doing this too. but to an 03 forester XT. Pardon my ignorance but what is the model number for this year of Fozz? :ponder2: Did the chassie change on the foresters over the years or mearly a body change. Which model of Impreza would I get the shocks from? Sorry not trying to hijack the post. just v intrested.

Coopster is probably the best man to be able to tell ya what you need for your car fella, Unfortunately i have no idea what you need! and i wouldnt want to send ya off lookin in the wrong direction :thumbsup: best of luck with it tho

thats why I said the sti springs. They are stiffer in the Impreza than the wrx springs, however with the additional weightof the Foz, they will be less rigid.

I think the wrx springs would be a little too spongy.

Hi Dave,

You will need to fit STi or WRX WAGON shocks and springs from a classic Impreza. Regular saloon rear springs are way too low and the Foz will end up pointing at the sky. When changing over you will need to swap the top hats from the rears of your original set and put them onto the new wagon set up. You will only need to do this for the rears, the front will fit fine. After that you can fit 22mm anti roll bars from any classic, I have ones from a 98 STi type R. When you have fitted all this you should then get laser wheel alignment done and you could get some camber adjustment while you are at it. Bearing all this in mind you will drop the Foz by about 3" so your exhaust will scrape when going over some of the really aggressive ones. You should be able to pick up a second hand set of suspension from a wagon for about €200-300. If you are going to increase the power, don't forget to get rid of those crappy 2 pot brakes. Subaru 4 pots or STi brembos will fit easily but you might need bigger wheels to fit over Brembos.

Cheers
Alan

:thumbsup:good man alan,ill never be happy.......ill just sort the handling for now.happy with the power {not changing these wheels for now}. braided lines+good pads will do me :icon_grin:. thanks again for the advice :xmas_cheers:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=21412.msg260548#msg260548 date=1266877407]
get coilovers instead... :icon_biggrin:
[/quote] if only i could afford a full set of tein........

You'd get a second hand set of impreza coilovers for €350-€400.. Maybe less now though.. :dontknow: ... You know you want to :icon_grin: :subaru:

OR you could go here:
http://www.kybshocksonline.com/Default.aspx

buy 2 rear shocks (non self leveling)
choose what springs you what to install
im running tein on the rear:
http://www.tein.co.uk/product/racing_springs.html
and while line control on the front
http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=53324

above set up lowers very nice ,improves handling and don't destroy the ride
IMG_0068.jpg

that's job done :thumbsup:

You's have it all answered there!
Just to clarify,
@forester dave, Your car is the FS5 chassis, so all scruffs advise relates to you! none of coopster's! I whole heartedly agree with scruff, I put sti springs on mine and she was on the bump stops, so maybe go for WRX springs, and the rear anti roll bar is so easy to fit and will make a huge differance!
@ PatK, your car is SG5 chassis and is not at all like any impreza, but as coopster says, there are plenty of foz specific upgrades you can get! if you car is Irish/uk car, then as coopster says you'll need to change your rear struts because your should be self leveling items, but if she is a jap import, you'll be grand,
Either way, rear antiroll bar and 4 wheel alignment is a must!!! I run 1.5deg neg camber on the front and 1 deg neg on the rear, with no toe in or out!!
And as scruff said, Any scooby brakes will bolt straight on! as long as your wheel clear them!
Best fo luck
Dan

Back