Urgent help needed???

breno58

Petrolheads
I just took the car out for a spin and ran into a bit of trouble :icon_cry: i let the car warm up for 10-15 mins like i usually do and went on my way but a few miles down the road i went to overtake and when i put the foot down the turbo kicked in at 4k rpm as usual but at about 5.5k rpm it started to splutter really badly and wouldnt boost properly and it was backfiring a bit so i eased off, not sure of what was wrong i tried again and same thing but when i pulled over the car seemed to be ticking over fine so i took off and put the foot down again and it went grand so i taught nothing of it but it started to splutter again a few times after when the turbo kicked in :ponder2:
Anybody any ideas what this could be? maybe a misfire or bad fuel? I really want to fix this asap, any help is greatly appreciated :smile:
By the way the car is a 93 wrx import :subaru:

i was thinking maybe a misfire but i dont see how it could be as i only put new plugs and coil packs in not too long ago :wall:

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=21380.msg259408#msg259408 date=1266521780]
was the CEL flashing when spluttering?
[/quote]

nope there was no lights up on the dash

coil pack breaking down id say, had the exact same problem about a year ago.....
and b4 xmas my car started to backfire one morning and it turned out to be a cracked plug......

Have you fitted a decat? sounds like your over boosting and ecu is fuel cutting

[quote author=KENC link=topic=21380.msg259422#msg259422 date=1266526014]
Have you fitted a decat? sounds like your over boosting and ecu is fuel cutting
[/quote]

Yup its de-catted, whats the standard boost on a 93 wrx? i was told 1.1bar so thats what i set it to, is this too much? should i lower the boost?

Not too sure what boost should be, think v5 v6 sti are around that, didnt think wrx were?? seen as do you can turn it down you must have a boost controler, turn her down to .5 bar and see what happens, bring her back up gradually, have you only put on decat? because even do boost is set to say 1bar, when decat is added you can get boost spike, hence the fuel cut.

Had something simular happen myself before on way to one of the meets...

looked under the bonnet and it was a little pipe going on to the end of my blow off valve had came off.

Might be worth checking them aswell maybe :dontknow:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=21380.msg259443#msg259443 date=1266529277]
Not too sure what boost should be, think v5 v6 sti are around that, didnt think wrx were?? seen as do you can turn it down you must have a boost controler, turn her down to .5 bar and see what happens, bring her back up gradually, have you only put on decat? because even do boost is set to say 1bar, when decat is added you can get boost spike, hence the fuel cut.
[/quote]

Just lowered the boost on the boost controller to the lowest setting (.6bar) and took it for a spin just there and its running better than ever i must say :smile: the decat was on the car when i bought it but it never acted like that before so maybe it was just bad fuel or something :ponder2: so i just used up what was left in the tank and filled up with e5 and now its boosting as perfect as ever couldnt be happier :icon_grin:

Yep the fuel, you were pinking,
just be carefull if you are using e5 and car runs grand at 1.1, if you dont put in e5, its like running without booster etc 99 octane vs 95 octane.. lucky you havent fried a piston..
so if you cant get e5 in future, either lower the boost or put in booster

I do usually fill up on e5 but last fill i used topaz because i was running on empty and it was the only garage within miles but ill always try use e5 nothing else, cheers :thumbsup:

Back