Caliper trouble 2004 Legacy

K

keveb08

Hi all, It's a 2004 2.0 AWD brought in from UK bog stanard Legacy

Can anyone help here. I Should say I know sweet F all about cars.......

Am having trouble with the front brake calipers, seems as they have not been retracting pistons are jamming and I am driving with restriction on the discs and they have over heated over and over and are now warped. I know I have to replace the discs and the pads, and the calipers need to be reconditioned, Has anyone had this problem or have a cheap fix. I have got 1 price of 750 which I just don't have at the moment.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Kev

no real cheap fix mate!!!
personally wouldnt consider a temporary fix on brakes or steering!!!
probably get a set of front brembos for that money!!!!
you'll need to check the wheel bearing also incase the heat has dried it up...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

im having the same problem with mine at the minute, it has seized up twice, 2nd time i took it apart , proper cleaning regreased the slider pins and everything and its working fine at the moment, I did buy a new caliper seal kit from Subaru for 37 euro, does 2 calipers. havent had a chance to pull the pistons etc out fully to do it. Ordering a new set of AP racing calipers at the end of the month instead, cheaper than replacing stanndard calipers and far superior brakes.

See thats where I'm in trouble, I know nothing about cars, I have seen people talking about stripping down the caliper and doing all sorts, I would't even know where to start. How much the AP racing calipers setting you back, plus I will have to change the discs and pads.

Kev

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21313.msg258600#msg258600 date=1266338778]
im having the same problem with mine at the minute, it has seized up twice, 2nd time i took it apart , proper cleaning regreased the slider pins and everything and its working fine at the moment, I did buy a new caliper seal kit from Subaru for 37 euro, does 2 calipers. havent had a chance to pull the pistons etc out fully to do it. Ordering a new set of AP racing calipers at the end of the month instead, cheaper than replacing stanndard calipers and far superior brakes.
[/quote]

See thats where I'm in trouble, I know nothing about cars, I have seen people talking about stripping down the caliper and doing all sorts, I would't even know where to start. How much the AP racing calipers setting you back, plus I will have to change the discs and pads.

Kev

all in for the front AP caliper set about 1100 including 4 pot calipers, 330mm discs, pads, lines. i could show you how its done but am away for a week from Sunday so any time after that i can help. is it an irish or jap legacy?

any subaru dealer should be able to repair the caliper for you. once there isnt too much damage done to the caliper. its not something you should mess with unless you comfortable with that kind of work. Is it both front calipers seizing?

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21313.msg258610#msg258610 date=1266340550]
all in for the front AP caliper set about 1100 including 4 pot calipers, 330mm discs, pads, lines. i could show you how its done but am away for a week from Sunday so any time after that i can help. is it an irish or jap legacy?
[/quote]

It's Irish, cheers for that and I know prob a much better brake system but pushing the price up is no good for me. Thanks for the offer to show me, oh and enjoy your trip....

leave it into local subaru dealer so and hopefully the can fix it for you. Is it a 2.0L or 3.0L you want caliper seal reapir kit for both calipers done. 40 euro for parts plus couple of hours labour

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=21313.msg258618#msg258618 date=1266341356]
IMO...a seal kit is only a temp repair!!!!
any idea what causes the seizure dan???
:ponder2:
[/quote]

i think it was the crappy weather over the christmas probably. sure you can try the seal kit and if it happens again replacement calipers needed. Thats what is putting me off buying a 2nd hand set of brembos or that, month down the road they could seize up and you and your left with an even larger repair bill on them Seems like he is on a budget at the moment so maybe seal kit is best option. Plenty of the traders on here could help you out im sure. depends where you are based. I could try have a quick look for you this week but only in the evenings if your around Dublin

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21313.msg258619#msg258619 date=1266341610]
[quote author=markobucko link=topic=21313.msg258618#msg258618 date=1266341356]
IMO...a seal kit is only a temp repair!!!!
any idea what causes the seizure dan???
:ponder2:
[/quote]

i think it was the crappy weather over the christmas probably. sure you can try the seal kit and if it happens again replacement calipers needed. Thats what is putting me off buying a 2nd hand set of brembos or that, month down the road they could seize up and you and your left with an even larger repair bill on them Seems like he is on a budget at the moment so maybe seal kit is best option. Plenty of the traders on here could help you out im sure. depends where you are based. I could try have a quick look for you this week but only in the evenings if your around Dublin
[/quote]

Again thanks so much for the offer but I am in Cork. Cheers

[quote author=Kielyb4 link=topic=21313.msg258632#msg258632 date=1266342834]
Can you put the non brembo 4 pots the the bl leggy's?

There are a great upgrade and only 250 :thumbsup:
[/quote]

bolt on on the front, but BL5 2pots are supposedly better than the wrx four pots, larger disc and pad and sliding piston design(or something like that!) going off info on legacygt.com

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21313.msg258655#msg258655 date=1266345229]

[/quote]

bolt on on the front, but BL5 2pots are supposedly better than the wrx four pots, larger disc and pad and sliding piston design(or something like that!) going off info on legacygt.com
[/quote]

lads I have no idea what yous are talking about.

[quote author=keveb08 link=topic=21313.msg258700#msg258700 date=1266354133]

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh such a Subaru virgin! BL5 legacy is 2003-2005, which be yours. it has 2 piston calipers. the older legacy's BE5 99-03 can take brake calipers off a impreza wrx which has bigger 4 piston calipers. not much point in putting them on yours though. So if you can get Gold brembo calipers of an 2004+ impreza STI, the front ones will bolt on fine with no modifications, the rear calipers need a special mounting bracket and different handbrake shoes. Hope that helps.

You going to drop it in to a Subaru dealer to try and get fixed? Stick up a picture of your front brakes and if they are the same as mine. I can give you the part number for the repair kit i got, incase dealer cant find it on their system :wall:
[/quote]

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=21313.msg258708#msg258708 date=1266355368]
[quote author=keveb08 link=topic=21313.msg258700#msg258700 date=1266354133]

[/quote]

[/quote]

oh such a Subaru virgin! BL5 legacy is 2003-2005, which be yours. it has 2 piston calipers. the older legacy's BE5 99-03 can take brake calipers off a impreza wrx which has bigger 4 piston calipers. not much point in putting them on yours though. So if you can get Gold brembo calipers of an 2004+ impreza STI, the front ones will bolt on fine with no modifications, the rear calipers need a special mounting bracket and different handbrake shoes. Hope that helps.

You going to drop it in to a Subaru dealer to try and get fixed? Stick up a picture of your front brakes and if they are the same as mine. I can give you the part number for the repair kit i got, incase dealer cant find it on their system :wall:
[/quote]
[/quote] thanks a million,,, i will take a pic and post it up 2morrow...

Hey lads,
think dan is right just get a seal kit cheepest option, same happened to my b4 and my single turbo legacy :angry1: but i bought 4 pots off an type R for the both of those neded to be upgraded anyway, same thing is after happening to my fathers legacy and my cousin GT estate, common problemage has a factor in it too i suppose, :1poke: Father is after getting a seal kit from Subaru once your pistons aren't pited or damaged the seal kit should get you out of trouble if your on a budget def a good first option :thumbsup:

Back