what bhp can i expect???

breno58

Petrolheads
im gonna save up to get my wrx remapped as soon as i can but before i do i wanna add a couple more bits to it, i already have a 3" de-catted exhaust and a apexi induction kit on it but i wanna add a s/s manifold and a fmic so i was wondering does anyone know what kinda power could i expect with these mods, cheers.

Is it a newage Impreza? You will be limited by your turbo, so depends on what one you have

No need for FMIC unless going for big power as well as turbo change.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=21250.msg257751#msg257751 date=1266160734]
Is it a newage Impreza?
[/quote]

1993 WRX I think

make sure your coil packs are working perfect as i learnt the hard way when getting mine mapped they were breaking down

as above..
if you want fmic,you'll need bigger turbo and possibly bigger injectors then walbro pump ...
i assume your mapped for the apexi induction kit already..
:ponder2: :ponder2:

if its a classic, i wouldnt bother putting a s/s manifold on and if your not tracking the car, i wouldnt bother changing to a fmic,top mount is grand for the road

you should fit a bigger turbo 18g/20g, fpr, bigger injectors and a remap and you will see over 300 ponys

fmic and manifold, will be an absolute waist of money for your set up... you are aware that you may buy a mapable ecu for your car as a 93 cant be ecu tekd????
With the ecu sorted i would look at, sti5 i/c, vf28 turbo, sti injectors or an adjustable regulator.. enjoy and leave it at that point...
or you could buy a cheap sti for same or less money when you sell your own car:)

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=21250.msg257751#msg257751 date=1266160734]
Is it a newage Impreza? You will be limited by your turbo, so depends on what one you have
[/quote]

its a v1 classic wrx

[quote author=Gretts. link=topic=21250.msg257758#msg257758 date=1266160965]
make sure your coil packs are working perfect as i learnt the hard way when getting mine mapped they were breaking down
[/quote]

only put new coil packs on recently

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=21250.msg257770#msg257770 date=1266163092]
as above..
if you want fmic,you'll need bigger turbo and possibly bigger injectors then walbro pump ...
i assume your mapped for the apexi induction kit already..
:ponder2: :ponder2:

nope not mapped but i have a boost controller on it and i never go above standard boost[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=21250.msg257798#msg257798 date=1266171014]
if its a classic, i wouldnt bother putting a s/s manifold on and if your not tracking the car, i wouldnt bother changing to a fmic,top mount is grand for the road

you should fit a bigger turbo 18g/20g, fpr, bigger injectors and a remap and you will see over 300 ponys
[/quote]

i plan on using the car for mainly track days and a bit of day to day use

[quote author=KENC link=topic=21250.msg257969#msg257969 date=1266188338]
fmic and manifold, will be an absolute waist of money for your set up... you are aware that you may buy a mapable ecu for your car as a 93 cant be ecu tekd????
With the ecu sorted i would look at, sti5 i/c, vf28 turbo, sti injectors or an adjustable regulator.. enjoy and leave it at that point...
or you could buy a cheap sti for same or less money when you sell your own car:)
[/quote]

ok i didnt know that so what kinda of ecu should i go for??? would a Greddy emanage blue do the trick?

if your using it for track days i would then recommend a fmic,

im not sure on what ecu to use but ask a few of the trader on here and they will point you in the right direction

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=21250.msg257991#msg257991 date=1266194295]
if your using it for track days i would then recommend a fmic,

im not sure on what ecu to use but ask a few of the trader on here and they will point you in the right direction
[/quote]

cheers for that mate will do

That greddy is a piggy back right?? if it is, piggy back ecu are things of the past, there too costly for what they do. i only consider them as make do set up. You looking at likes of apexi or simtec etc etc, apexi probably the least expensive, but still i would think the cheapest you will get one for and mapped will be 1k minimum.. When your looking at an ecu, bare in mind that you want something that lots of guys can map, and that your not tied to one dealer etc etc
Lately it seems that i am almost trying to turn lads away from tuning cars, but guys dont really understand the cost involved. you hadnt thought of ecu so thats an extra 1k that you hadnt planned for
In my opinion, you are realistickly looking at minimum 2k to get that wrx up to sti with exhaust and map power.. Thats why i said about buying an sti, instead of spending money on it, late 98s all 99 and 00 sti are remapable on stock ecu, and they are some cars, especially v5 and v6, and some crackers for sale on here with ecutek licence or apexi fitted, and mods on them already, Richiemac had a well sorted Andy Forrest mapped 00 Irish turbo with sti turbo, injectors etc etc around 300bhp Richie reckons, might be worth a look

I knew the cost of a remap was in or around the 1k mark so i dont mind that if i know the car will be safe to run after it, its just becoming a bit of a pain now always using booster when i fill up, i was thinking of booking it in for the march/april map session sti tuning are doing but i want to know first if my ecu is even mappable???
To be honest id rather keep the car as i like it a lot and ive looked after it as apposed to a lot of scoobys out there so if i put 2k into it to get it up to sti standard it would be worth it as id probably only get 2k for it if i sold it and i would probably need at least another 2k if i wanted to buy an actual sti so make sense to just keep it

[quote author=breno58 link=topic=21250.msg258360#msg258360 date=1266272489]
I knew the cost of a remap was in or around the 1k mark so i dont mind that if i know the car will be safe to run after it, its just becoming a bit of a pain now always using booster when i fill up, i was thinking of booking it in for the march/april map session sti tuning are doing but i want to know first if my ecu is even mappable???
To be honest id rather keep the car as i like it a lot and ive looked after it as apposed to a lot of scoobys out there so if i put 2k into it to get it up to sti standard it would be worth it as id probably only get 2k for it if i sold it and i would probably need at least another 2k if i wanted to buy an actual sti so make sense to just keep it
[/quote]

Ken's not trying to put you off just giving you advice he's been through the ringer tunning cars. You have to remember as well you are risking the health of your engine tuning it to 300 bhp,or even 260 or so you engine has fair few miles on it, you stick 2 grand into getting mapped and up the boost pressure, the best scenario is the turbo sh!ts itslefs (quite likely) looking at 250 for new turbo another 250 to fit it. Worst scenario you melt a piston and need a new block minimum 1k and another 500 to fit(probably a lot more).
The reason most people map their car is for the lower octane fuel, or when they have added mods or been through a rebuild. Your car will be fine as it is well before jap cars switched to 100 octane fuel, running maxol E5 is more than enough.
Not trying to be patronising and I'm no expert but putting 2k into a car worth 3k, a car you've looked after after well and risking it's health doesn't seem worth it to me. No offence just being honest with you I am trying to put you off because you could spend your money better, it might get up to standard sti power but it won't be any where near as safe, as fuel efficient and you still have the suspension to upgrade.

Your standard ecu is definitly not remappable
I understand what you mean about liking the car etc etc, Sti would be a far better handler, and you say you rather spends 2 k tuning yours and only be up to sti power without the stronger box, suspension, brakes etc etc and the point im trying to make to you is that i would rather sell your own and spend 2k and have the likes of this for example... and this is only an asking price
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1117517

Now i dont know this car, but hope you can see what i am getting at, wasnt Brian Collins selling his mapped and tuned 99 sti silver one aswell for handy money Dagnut?
To be really blunt about it, i wouldnt waist my money on the 93 wrx as in my opinion it would sh*t itself fairly quickly and cost a fortune to even get it to sti power.. if you like her that much, keep her as she is and enjoy her mate and forget about track days..
And your right there Dagnut, i have been around, and around, and around this fookn addiction

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=21250.msg258368#msg258368 date=1266273646]
Ken's not trying to put you off just giving you advice he's been through the ringer tunning cars. You have to remember as well you are risking the health of your engine tuning it to 300 bhp,or even 260 or so you engine has fair few miles on it, you stick 2 grand into getting mapped and up the boost pressure, the best scenario is the turbo sh!ts itslefs (quite likely) looking at 250 for new turbo another 250 to fit it. Worst scenario you melt a piston and need a new block minimum 1k and another 500 to fit(probably a lot more).
The reason most people map their car is for the lower octane fuel, or when they have added mods or been through a rebuild. Your car will be fine as it is well before jap cars switched to 100 octane fuel, running maxol E5 is more than enough.
Not trying to be patronising and I'm no expert but putting 2k into a car worth 3k, a car you've looked after after well and risking it's health doesn't seem worth it to me. No offence just being honest with you I am trying to put you off because you could spend your money better, it might get up to standard sti power but it won't be any where near as safe, as fuel efficient and you still have the suspension to upgrade.
[/quote]

ah yea i see your point man its probably just a waste of time and money but the main reason i wanted to remap the car was to run it safely on the lower octane fuel but i taught before i do that ill add a few more bits to it to get as much out of it as possible but i wasnt aware i could run my car on the lower octane fuel without needing a remap so thats grand i wont bother spending any money on it if thats the case id be happy enough to leave it as it is so :) but should i still use booster when i fill up???

[quote author=KENC link=topic=21250.msg258376#msg258376 date=1266274225]
Your standard ecu is definitly not remappable
I understand what you mean about liking the car etc etc, Sti would be a far better handler, and you say you rather spends 2 k tuning yours and only be up to sti power without the stronger box, suspension, brakes etc etc and the point im trying to make to you is that i would rather sell your own and spend 2k and have the likes of this for example... and this is only an asking price
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1117517
[/quote]

ooh thats a nice one alright but i think your right ill just keep it as it is and enjoy it :) no point throwing hard earned money away

just fill up with maxol e5 it in and around 99 octane so it should be fine your car is designed to run on 97.

@Ken yeah brians car is a really nice example

Back