Manifold

equal lenght will give a bit more power top end

but not worth it as you loose the scooby rumble

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=21215.msg257432#msg257432 date=1266050818]

[/quote]

i have the equal length manifold, and although the rumble is quietened (i wouldnt say gone), it leaves the car like a bit of a sleeper which is good as everyone expects the rumble and doesnt tink my quiet little thing has 300 ponies ready to go. i have fun with it anyway. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

[quote author=sligo_dave link=topic=21215.msg257470#msg257470 date=1266065085]
[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=21215.msg257432#msg257432 date=1266050818]

[/quote]

i have the equal length manifold, and although the rumble is quietened (i wouldnt say gone), it leaves the car like a bit of a sleeper which is good as everyone expects the rumble and doesnt tink my quiet little thing has 300 ponies ready to go. i have fun with it anyway. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
[/quote]

If you still have some rumble left, i dont think the manifold you have is a true equel lenght one, after all it is the Unequel lenght that makes the rumble sound.
Ive heard some equal lenghts and they sound nearly like an Evo on tick over, and like a gsxr when pushed hard.
Probably fook all gain unless you run reworked heads, with aggresive cams, big valves, and high rev limit etc etc

[quote author=KENC link=topic=21215.msg257618#msg257618 date=1266100342]

If you still have some rumble left, i dont think the manifold you have is a true equel lenght one, after all it is the Unequel lenght that makes the rumble sound.
Ive heard some equal lenghts and they sound nearly like an Evo on tick over, and like a gsxr when pushed hard.
Probably fook all gain unless you run reworked heads, with aggresive cams, big valves, and high rev limit etc etc
[/quote]

not saying theres much gain from it. twas like that when i bought it. been told it sounds like an evo but ill try throw up a vid later. what i was saying is that mine is very quiet as it has standard exhaust, although im having a stainless being made for it at the minute.

Most i have talked too say that you really want to be on the limits of your set up, to the point where you cant get any more from it and that going equal lenght then might get you a small small bit more in top end.
I beleive that some of the manifolds that are out there are more SEMI equal than fully equal and thats how the pulsing is still present.
Even the move from standard manifold to stainless is probably not needed untill up around 450bhp.. i stand corrected if this is wrong as i dont know at what point it actually becomes "essential" to change.. nor have i seen any actuall before and after figures of cast manifold to stainless, proving there gain. I know that spool up can be better on big turbo if you use the standard subaru or standard size up pipe instead of the bigger stainless manifold ones, think Andy Forrest done this on his Bugeye.
Have to say that i am not a big fan of the Stainless headers and had thought of just putting a nice fresh set of standards back on mine and selling the headers, i asked a few of Uk mappers, and at the power i was at 430bhp, said i wouldnt really notice any difference

I've got equal lenght also. Mine have to be wrapped, to prevent them melting anything close. This brings it's own problems.

KENC might be onto something with the SEMI equal theory as mine also have a small rumble. Doesn't really sound like an EVO. Doesn't really sound like a Scooby either :icon_cry:

Also raises questions about the way the car was driven previously.

If I had the choice I'd go with unequal.

[quote author=goldenjohn link=topic=21215.msg258248#msg258248 date=1266259688]
standard is un-equal
[/quote]

nice one johnny boy :thumbsup:

Stainless after market headers are a pain in the ball bag,
have to move loom out away from them so they wont melt,, have to heat wrap them, makes lifting in and out the engine bit more tricky, and even do they are heat wrapped i still think they throw off more heat than standard cast manifolds.

I probabaly would chance going from Aftermarket back to standard, but not the other way around without map... im not sure how much it would affect map or not..may get the experts to answer that one for you

Back