McIntosh Amp Bypass

B4_RSK

Petrolheads
Have a bit of a problem,treated the car to a new radio not so long ago and i can only get sound out of the rear speakers,was told that there's no power supply goin to the amp under the drivers seat because it was powered from the McIntosh head unit. Is there a harness available to bypass this??has anyone else come across this problem?

Cheers

if you get me a picture of the amp I should be able to work something out for ya fella.....

[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=21070.msg255843#msg255843 date=1265548995]
Have a bit of a problem,treated the car to a new radio not so long ago and i can only get sound out of the rear speakers,was told that there's no power supply goin to the amp under the drivers seat because it was powered from the McIntosh head unit. Is there a harness available to bypass this??has anyone else come across this problem?

Cheers
[/quote]

I spliced all the original wires into the connector block i bought to fit my headunit and the amp i got off you has been working fine since. The only one i cant get working is the large speaker on the rear parcel shelf. :thumbsup:

[quote author=B4_RSK link=topic=21070.msg255843#msg255843 date=1265548995]

Cheers
[/quote]

Oh i know your pain mark, If ya figure it, let me know!!!!!

I had this problem too. Most head units have a build in amp but the Macintosh unit didn't. Couldn't find any solution so ended up rewiring from the amp, under carpet and back up to head unit. Poxy job but worth it in the end!

I was going to suggest some alternate way of powering the amp (i.e. rewire a power source to it) but wasnt sure if it was at all possible as i dont know the amps.......

Id say it would be easy enough if not a little fiddly to do....

You could always get a fusion sub and put it in the boot. They have built in amps and makes it a lot easier.

Thats what I did anyway :thumbsup:

Built in amps usually suck ass

nice big Mono Block is what ya want........

(wish i never sold my 4 x alpine amps now :icon_cry:)

FINALLY sorted this problrem!!!so couple of months ago I bought this

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/AVIC-F900BT/index.html

And 4 new JBL GTO series speakers in the doors and a 450w 6x9 for the rear parcel shelf :icon_grin:

Up until recently I only had sound out of the rear door speakers, so decided on saturday that I'd had enough and tackle the problem myself and after 4-5 hours of pulling the dash apart and running wires from under the drivers seat back up to my new head unit, I now have everything working and my god the sound is incredible!

So if anyone is having the same problem and wants a hand to fix it give me a shout and I'll help you out :thumbsup:

How's it goin John? Cost me bout €800 for the lot, but i got the radio second hand, was only in the previous blokes car a week and he didn't like it

As for fitting i'm not familiar with the BL legacy but i know Altezza-Dan has had to do some work with his so maybe if you ask him really nice he'll give you a hand :thumbsup:

Back