What is the story with “bootleg” HID’s and NCT?

Milo

Sunday Drivers
Would it be a straight fail once they see a retrofited, non-stock hid kit in a stock, non-hid lamp housing?

If they are not auto focussing it is a fail. Its all about the light splatter. If you change back to the stock lights for the test and leave the HID kit dangling there i've also heard of people failing for that.

They are no problem for nct i have put several kits in and all cars passed ,
the only thing is when you fit a HID kid the bulbs are different length than original so you must get them realigned
if you do this you can leave your HID kit in .You should do it for your own sake any way as it gives you the correct light pattern

HID will fail!!

had to change mine for test as they angle of light projected from headlights wasn't registering on the machine, just put ordinary bulbs back in get focused,
i left the kit in there tidy'ed it up a bit left no wires loose and it passed.

No, only cars with oem Hids have self leveling, and as i said none of the kits i fitted have failed (all retro fit)
but when you fit them first and check them on the level they are usually high , once they are re leveled to your cars
factory levels they will pass, Dont forget they only check the levels not the brightness. Im also taking for granted that
the installation is neat.

ye the beam off the hid bulbs wouldn't register on the machine the angle needed to focus them didn't exist

Bad kit so ! I have them in jeep too never a problem with testing. But when i put them in classic scoob they were blinding people first
reset levels and all ok an all installs

I gauge more along the lines how it works out in practice. I am aware of all the legal/technical requirements/issues- per EU regulations they should fail it at first glance.

tom.jpg

Hmmmm!! Yep....... i'd have to say; chances are i'd let you pass the NCT too JohnM

:multijump: :multijump:

NIall.

i put a good few cars trought the nct with retro hids fitted and they all passed. Autoleveling headlights cannot be beam tested, so most testers will not test the xenon lights at all. Unless you have a 92` micra with hids :hammerhead:

Back