transmission strength vs cost

T

trev

Does anyone have any experience with converting 4WD transmissions to work as FWD only? Do they last or do they wear out prematurely?

I know it's an odd request but it'll make more sense when you consider what I'm working on: www.veewrx.com

kitnkustomshow8.jpg

I'm now considering moving the engine to a mid-mount position and using an Impreza transmission instead of the Porsche one. I'm presuming the 4WD is stronger than the 2WD and a kit is available from Australia (there may be more closer to home, don't know yet) to lock the rear output shaft for a 2WD application. I'm just doing the research at this stage to check the feasibilty of mid-mounting the engine.

Incidentally, cost-wise, how much should I expect to spend on a 2WD/4WD transmission and its mounts? I'll need a flywheel and clutch kit too and probably drive shafts. In fact if I'm going that far, I might be best to use Impreza hubs and brakes. Any ideas on budgets for these parts?

all advice appreciated. :)

trev

anybody got any advice on transmission strength? Is the FWD Impreza transmission any good? Am I better off going for the 4WD one and converting it to FWD?

Back