Heat Wrap

DavetypeR

Sunday Drivers
Anyone know of a strong heat wrap?

My type R came off the boat with equal length wrapped headers. Had to replace the wrap about 6 months ago because it was falling apart and was melting all around it. Used a quality motorsport wrap but noticed today it's breaking up again :angry1:

Pain in the ass taking off the headers so not looking forward to doing it every 6 months :sad:

Ceramic coating is just too expensive so has anyone found a good tough wrap :dontknow:

I think there is some sort of spray that your supposed to spray every so often onto the heat wrap, its to seal and stop it rotting away afaik

Afaik heat wrap is made of fibre glass and degrades because of heat cycle(hot/cold).Throw in muck and water and it really has a hard life.Dont think it comes any stronger,short of ceramic coating it. Open to correction though. :dontknow:

i gave mine a few coats of DEI Extreme High Temp Paint , Did it a year ago on downpipe no trouble so far.

I had some wrap on my downpipe and i probably only just got a year out of it, until it rotted away and fell off,
so will defo be keeping it coated with silicone ht spray in the future.

Cheers lads :thumbsup:

@ Nic spec c: Cheers for the link. I remember when I was first looking for wrap I did find a few U.S. companies selling the sealant spray but they wouldn't ship outise the states. Something to do with airmail and compressed gas. Anyone I asked about it here said "Never heard of it buddy, it'd be grand without it". Obviously not :angry1: Ever see it here or in the UK?

@ Gonzogicker: Would love to ceramic coat it and be done with it, but think it's about 300euro if ya can find someone to do it. Just too pricey for this tight ass :thumbsup:

@Fenster: Sounds like an option. I read somewhere that the solvents can degrade the wrap quicker than normal wear and tear but guess that was incorrect. Is DEI stuff much more expensive than normal VHT paint. Where can ya get it?

Thanks again lads :thumbsup:

Cheers Nic. Just noticed the link at the bottom of your post :doh:

I'll shoot em off an email to see if they'll mail outside the U.S. :thumbsup:

the only thing that will work and stay on and also not rot your manifold is a performance heat coating . reduces heat by 30 % . not cheap to get done approx £380 but is the only job . check out www.zircotec.com . i have a trade deal with them .

Checked ebay yesterday and couldn't find much. :comp26:

Checked again this morning and found DEI HT as mentioned above by fenster. Shipping is only £10 to Ireland.

Sorted :653:

Thanks to everyone for the advice :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back