I'm talking about bad vibrations!

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So coming across the m50 this morning, notice a bit of a shudder coming through the steering, it got more violent the faster i went and i could hear a bit of a "fapping" noise. pulled over just to make sure no one robbed my wheel nuts or something. everything seem fine with nothing loose or no sign of a puncture got back in and drove on. On the N7 again and it came back. Any ideas what it could be? What does a sticking caliper feel like? Any other thought before i leave it in to get checked out?

Sticking caliper will generate serious heat, go round the car after your next spin & just put your hand down NEAR the caliper to see if one feels much hotter.

You hit any potholes recently? Could be a bulge on the inside wall of your tyres causing the vibration?

Any dislodged snow sitting inside of rim... mate brought car to get wheels balanced after weeks of annoying vibration and garage found massive lump of mud sitting on inside lip of rim... problem solved! :icon_redface:

Could possibley be just some sh!t on the inside of your rim? You know when you get sand on the inside of your rim? just a thought have a look only a bit can throw your you balance right out

cheers lads ill give the wheels a good jet washing at lunch and check the tyres properly etc and see does that fix her. Car hasn't got a wash in about a month!

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=20483.msg249314#msg249314 date=1263381790]
Great minds jamie..
[/quote]

more like... :cuckoo: :icon_biggrin:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=20483.msg249313#msg249313 date=1263381753]
Could possibley be just some sh!t on the inside of your rim? You know when you get sand on the inside of your rim? just a thought have a look only a bit can throw your you balance right out
[/quote]

:lolpoint: :lolpoint: Could be you got mud in your tires

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nYJEyToSRtE"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nYJEyToSRtE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

came to the top of the off ramp off the M50 on the way home after the car nearly vibrating apart and i was only doing 80! Bad burning smell and cloud of smoke coming from front drivers side brake/wheel area , pulled into the garage and heat coming of caliper was mental, so i think its safe to assume the caliper is sticking badly. So how do i go about fixing this? Take pads off etc, grease pistons and baking plates and all fine or dandy or is it more serious than that? Would i pad or disk have been damaged by this? Need to get it fixed in the morning before work n :wall:

Also check rubber washers on brake piston, there is a reason why it jams, if any of them is punctured you may have water inside caliper and piston and it is nicely rusting. For some car there are repair kits, if not, change the brake caliper cause you will be looking at the same problem over and over again mate.

whats the best stuff to clean the pistons and that with? will need to do a quick fix in the morning and get some replacement pads during the week somewhere. Anybody know of any EBC stockists in Dublin?

there is this brake cleaner available in most of the motorshops. check their condition, they might need a bit of sandpaper, but if they will, start looking for replacement

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=20483.msg249539#msg249539 date=1263462182]
4pots for sale in this thread Dan;

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=20506.0
[/quote]

interested to know what they are like, anyway i took caliper off this morning cleaned the pistons and pads a bit and it doesnt seem to be sticking anymore. Order a caliper seal kit from Subaru anyway so if it sticks again i just rebuild the caliper, at least i can justify a set of Brembo's at the moment to herself, since she was in the car yesterday as it was smoking/vibrating like mad!

Dan sticking callipers (or at least the pistons in the callipers) is quiet common ,
especially if you use uprated brake pads .........more dust .

Basically the rubber seals (which are in the calliper repair kit ) ware and the brake dust gets in ,
normally you spot it early , simply cause one pad will be worn far more than the rest or under heavy braking
your car wont brake straight , ass steps out etc.......

I've replaced the rubber seals twice front and back and no probs since .

As far as i know (stand to be corrected) but if your calliper is jammed soak it in diesel overnight or maybe longer
and you'll be sorted .

Niall.

so got home from 2 weeks away,picked car up from work and drove home started sticking again Disc was actually glowing red hot when i got out of the car!! :wall: need to try fix this properly tomorrow, i got the caliper seal kit so ill try tackle it tomorrow until i can afford some AP's at the end of the month! might have to call on the services of some local mechanic members to help me out if i can fix it, dont really want to drive the car as is incase the disc cracks or something!

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=20483.msg255481#msg255481 date=1265390295]
driving it will heat up the wheel bearing also dan!!!!
wouldnt drive it til its fixed mate!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote] took top of caliper off today and re-greased the 2 slider pins and cleaned everything again and copper greased back of pads and all seems good today,, if it happens again ill need to tackle re-building the caliper with the kit i got from Subaru, hopefully it holds up until i get new AP's

Back